Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  4,904
Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183
Results 1,821 to 1,829 of 1829

Thread: warmwater pics

Default Re: warmwater pics

Terrible iPod photo of a largemouth caught last summer using the first fly rod I ever owned, a cheap fiberglass St. Croix 7wt. purchased in Fair Haven, VT in 1975 when I was 14. It never got much use back then and it's still in very nice condition.

fullsizeoutput_372.jpg
    At the southern tip of Lake Champlain

2. Likes okaloosa, TwoThumbsUp, dennyk liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by desmobob View Post
    Terrible iPod photo of a largemouth caught last summer using the first fly rod I ever owned, a cheap fiberglass St. Croix 7wt. purchased in Fair Haven, VT in 1975 when I was 14. It never got much use back then and it's still in very nice condition.

fullsizeoutput_372.jpg
    Nice fish. Remember, a fish doesn't know how old or expensive a rod is.

4. Likes desmobob liked this post
    Blog Entries

fullsizeoutput_372.jpg
    Hi Bob! Nice Fish! Are you sure that's an old St. Croix? It sure looks like a vintage Fenwick Feralite fly rod to me!

Denny

6. Likes desmobob liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Hi Bob! Nice Fish! Are you sure that's an old St. Croix? It sure looks like a vintage Fenwick Feralite fly rod to me!

Denny
    Hi Denny,

It's the St.Croix... you can see the distinctive trim on the right side of the photo, as well as the beginning of the word "Carboloy". I mistakenly referred to it as a 7wt... it's an 8wt. 8'3" Transa-glass model.

St.roix 8'3%22 8wt.jpg

I do fish some of the old Fenwicks, too.

8. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Hi Denny,

It's the St.Croix... you can see the distinctive trim on the right side of the photo, as well as the beginning of the word "Carboloy". I mistakenly referred to it as a 7wt... it's an 8wt. 8'3" Transa-glass model.

St.roix 8'3%22 8wt.jpg

I do fish some of the old Fenwicks, too.
    Thanks Bob! Striking resemblance to my Fenwicks-Love those old rods!

Denny

Quote Originally Posted by dennyk View Post
    Thanks Bob! Striking resemblance to my Fenwicks-Love those old rods!

Denny
    Glad you enjoyed the photos. I wouldn't be surprised if St.Croix had purposely made the Transaction-Glass series to look very much like the popular Fenwick Feralites... the Fenwicks were huge sellers. St. Croix seemed to focus more on supplying blanks to the industry rather than selling finished rods.

I prefer the action of my Fenwicks to this St. Croix, but it still does a nice job. It took me a while to find its rhythm, and it casted just fine once I did.

I haven't even started ice fishing yet this season and I'm already looking ahead to warm water fly fishing.

11. Thanks dennyk thanked for this post

In central Florida, the crappie are finally in the shallows and eager to take a fly. Got out late today (9 AM instead of 7 AM) and still caught 61 crappie. Most were 10 - 13 inches long, so didn't get any big ones yet. All were on a 4 wt fly rod, so lot's of fun. In addition to the crappie, I was able to mix in four gills and two large mouth bass. The largest bass was 17 inches, which puts a nice bend in a 4 wt rod. Got lucky in that the hook caught in the roof of it's mouth instead of the lip. The hook gap is too small to securely catch the lip on that size fish.

Also got up close to a wood stork yesterday. We don't see them very often as they are a threatened species. They have a face for radio.

So fellow Floridian fly fishermen, don't overlook crappie in the shallows this time of year. When you find them, you can have hits on almost every cast.

Crappie Jan 29, 2020

LMB 17 inch Jan 29A

LMB 17 inch Jan 29B

Wood Stork
    "You can record most sporting events, but fishing opportunities are either taken or missed."

13. Default Re: warmwater pics

Beast mode pre-spawn bass....9F309E10-8410-4431-BE9F-A7A321A821B6.jpg

Caught on TFO Axiom II X 5wt using Galvan T6, 5wt bonefish quickshooter, and a pink and brown carp fly.

14. Default Re: warmwater pics

Continued success with pre spawn bass. 008D6BF4-C37A-41CF-8238-1D72520A5619.jpg
    Sorry about the photo angle? Don’t know why it’s flipping around using my IPhone to upload. If you hold your head sideways it’s a nice one. Hahaha

Page 183 of 183 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183