Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First cast bass video (short)

Default First cast bass video (short)

Learning how to work the little video camera and fly rod at the same time.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJ7Xi5q08GY]YouTube - Largemouth Bass on black Murray's Marauder Fly[/ame]

Blog Entries

Default Re: First cast bass video (short)

Excellent video and nice bass to boot! Were you using a tripod to hold the camera?

Larry
    Larry

Nice job on the video and fish! One piece of advise though, grabbing a fly rod at the middle with a fish on is asking for trouble. Hold the grip and lift the rod til it's at 90 degrees so the flyline ends up in your free hand. One solid kick from a fish while your holding the middle of the rod and you'll be in the market for a new tip.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Thanks. I actually made a monopod with a spike on the end. Not perfect, but quicker to set up when the ground is soft. I will probably go to a tripod when the ground hardens this summer.

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    Excellent video and nice bass to boot! Were you using a tripod to hold the camera?

Larry

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

100% correct to point out. I was still trying to get the wind knots out of the flyline when the bass decided to straighten out the line for me. It took a little off-guard.

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Nice job on the video and fish! One piece of advise though, grabbing a fly rod at the middle with a fish on is asking for trouble. Hold the grip and lift the rod til it's at 90 degrees so the flyline ends up in your free hand. One solid kick from a fish while your holding the middle of the rod and you'll be in the market for a new tip.

Little windy, that is the way to film wish I had that kind of good fortune.

Quote Originally Posted by eobyone View Post
    Little windy, that is the way to film wish I had that kind of good fortune.
    It is always windy around here. It can be a bear to cast, but I can often go with a heavier leader/tippet since the wind masks it. I think I need to put a piece of tape around the mic to keep the wind noise down. This pond is a bit of a cheater's pond, because it regularly produces big crappie, bluegill and 6-8 lb. bass.

Quote Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
    It is always windy around here. It can be a bear to cast, but I can often go with a heavier leader/tippet since the wind masks it. I think I need to put a piece of tape around the mic to keep the wind noise down. This pond is a bit of a cheater's pond, because it regularly produces big crappie, bluegill and 6-8 lb. bass.
    That's not a cheater, thats a honey hole
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Nice Video and Fish! Wife is taking off this weekend so I'm taking my boys fishing this weekend to nice little pod like that. Hopefully have some stories for you.

Quote Originally Posted by flyzombie View Post
    Nice Video and Fish! Wife is taking off this weekend so I'm taking my boys fishing this weekend to nice little pod like that. Hopefully have some stories for you.
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventures with the boys.
    The boys caught about 12 bluegill tonight mostly on wax worms, but I let them pull in about 4 bluegill off my 3wt. My son picked out a #10 Dave's hopper and I cast, and he stripped them in... They love the top water action to see the fish come up and get the fly.

I was hoping to get down to Mad River this weekend and look for some tools to start tying but I'm batching it this weekend with the boys and got too much to do. I was on Wapsi website looking at their poppers and I might pick up some soon, but they didn't have any pricing?? I might contact them for a catalog. I'll keep you posted on tying bass bugs.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast