Clousers come thru.....

STARMedic

Reaction score
Went out the other morning to Lake Amistad where Spur 454 drops straight into the water....Since the drought, the waterline has been receding quite a bit, making this a good wade fishing spot for bass and blue gill. Wanted to get out and just work on my casting form after getting hold of Doug M's book. Tied on a chart/white clouser minnow and once settling into a different rythm of casting since it seems they throw a little differently than Wooley Boogers....tried working the minnow......and Bammmmm......fish on....reeled in my first large mouth bass....small by standard, only bout 2lbs at 8 inches......admired him for a bit, then released and started the casting again.......few mins into it then, once again....bammmmm....nuther fish.....little bigger than before......released him, cast again, fish again......What Ive found about this place is that the water is clear along the straight run where the road runs.....and off to either side are grass beds and mesquite trees now partly submerged.....

Spent the morning throwing chart/white, yellow/white clousers, silver doctors, and wooley boogers, finding that the bass in this area are partial to the clousers....My primary goal was to get used to being in waist/chest deep water and casting with a vest/pack on, changing out flies, casting and not looking like a moron while trying to incorporate all the above....

Something I did notice and not sure if its bad form or not but while wading and casting I noticed that sometimes the back cast will strike the water. Is this due to being waist deep in water or because of bad form?

Thanks in advance....

Bruce

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The fly hitting the water is do to your bringing the tip of your rod too far to the rear and letting it drop. Instead of stopping your backcast at around "2 oclock" you are taking it to more like 3:30. Make Sense?

As for
only bout 2lbs at 8 inches
You seriously caught a 8" 2 pounder or did you mean 18"?

troutbum

Reaction score
Bruce,I am no casting instructor but standing in waist deep water or casting from a belly boat ect...does make proper backcasts a little tricky.Just a sugestion ,try holding your elbow a little higher and try to stop the backcast a little early,the deeper the water your standing in the higher you should hold your elbow and shorten the backcast should be.Make sence?probally not but it's the only way I can describe it.
Tight Lines
Aaron

STARMedic

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations and I will give it a go here shortly. Maybe Im really bad at guestimation of weight so I will have to get some pics.... 8-10 inches and 1-2lbs....seemed like the norm....

Bruce

STARMedic

Reaction score
Even thru the afternoon heat guys like this wouldnt leave the minnow alone. He was right between 6-8 inches and 1ishlb......This was kind of the average of what was biting the whole day.No fish were harmed in the making of this photo....
Bruce

BigCliff

Reaction score
That is a pretty spotted one there! He prolly would break 1lb.

Glad to see Clousers have already proved their worth to ya. I forget if you're tying your own yet, but if you are, black clousers with oversized bead chain eyes work really well at night. You might be able to get into some 3-5 lb'ers with that approach. Not so hot then either.