Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: bluegill rod

1. Default bluegill rod

3wt or 4? length? might someday use for trout in pa. any input appreciated.

Default Re: bluegill rod

Where are you fishing? I ask because a good sized bluegill running into thick weed cover will be a whole lotta trouble for a 3 wt. A 4 wt. won't be much better.... That being said, I use a 3 wt. for gills and sunnies, and smallish LM bass in some well covered lakes....

I have had to essentially take all 'pressure' off of the line and let the fish work himself out of the thick cover (ie-- try to run).

So either will work, IMHO a 3 wt. is a little more fun (although I doubt I'd tell the difference between a 3 and 4 wt.....)

Also I find a 7'6" length to be what I like---

If you are windy, you might appreciate a longer (8'6" or 9') 4 wt.....

Hope this helps.

Buy the rod you want for trout, and then use it for bluegill. I have used 4wt and 5wt fishing for bluegills, and even a 6wt when we started catching bluegills when we were bass fishing. I have never used a 3wt since we often get big hybrid bluegills and redears over 1lb and I have no desire to wear them out before landing them (negatively impacts the fine taste!). If you are fishing for average size bluegills (1/2-3/4 lb) then a 3wt should be fine as well.

My bluegill rod is a 2wt. It's a hoot, even a small one is fun.

I agree with the raindog, depends on where you're at and what else you might hook into. I prefer to go a bit smaller because I like to feel the fight. Pulling a blue gill in with a 4wt just does not seem fun...my opinion.

GO with the 3wt.
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    What manner of jackassery will I be subjected to today?

5. Default Re: bluegill rod

i will be fishing, primarily, lakes with minimal cover. i do have a 5wt if i do pursue trout in the future, but i am beginning to feel that i need to be more numerical. i have a 7 and a 6 and a 5 and.....................well, i guess you understand.
    Last edited by lefty2; 05-09-2010 at 10:38 AM.

On calm days I use an 8 ft 4 wt; on windier days I use an 8.5 ft 5/6 wt. I usually cast a weighted Wooly Bugger under a fairly large foam indicator, to keep the fly at the right depth. Our lake (resevoir) has a very rocky bottom, and I lose too many flies if I allow them to sink to the bottom. The foam indicators are a bit too wind resistant for anything lighter than a 4.

I very seldom use poppers or foam spiders anymore. When I started hanging a nymph under the popper, I discovered I caught 80% of my fish on the dropper, so I switched to the dropper/indicator rig. The size 10 WB catches more bluegills than the smaller nymphs, and I've occasionally hooked bass and even catfish on the WB; great fun on a 4 wt.
    Jakeway Near Nashville, TN

Kayaks: Just part of the drag system

I probably fish more for Bluegills than I do trout. I love to eat panfish. I have have limited myself to to flys. One being a betts or similar popper on top with a dropper using a Bully Bluegill fly 80% of the time in Olive. I use a 8foot 5wt. I totally agree with advice given. Buy what trout rod suits your area and use it for the gills.

Quote Originally Posted by rapman View Post
    i will be fishing, primarily, lakes with minimal cover. i do have a 5wt if i do pursue trout in the future, but i am beginning to feel that i need to be more numberical. i have a 7 and a 6 and a 5 and.....................well, i guess you understand.
    I'm a big 4wt fan, but since you've got a 5 and are specifically after a bluegill rod, get a 3wt. I've got a 8'6" TFO Pro that's quite nice, and I bet Redington makes a similar rod.

This one would be great fun on sunfish, though it is a fully medium action rod (a bit slower than my TFO) - REDINGTON CT CLASSIC TROUT 8634 FLY ROD (8'6", 3WT, 4PC)
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.