TX Brookies- TR

BigCliff

Reaction score

I waited too long to go hit this section of river.

A front came through and cooled things off a bit, so I got to take it easy hitting the road, and grabbed some machacado and horchata.

Being a few miles from the headwaters, I figured it would be skinny, but there was even less to it than I expected

Don't matter, the fish were plentiful, even though the top half was all sunfish,

And then the bass showed up hungry, and some were quite pretty

A little river can still cut big rocks

After fishing down a long curved section, I had a long straight walk back to the car. It was a little unnerving to not see my car until I was almost back to it. (wasn't 100% confident in the legality of my parking spot)

But, I decided I wasn't done yet, grabbed two beers, and hit the section upstream from the crossing I parked at. The best bass of the day was all of 80' from the car.

That ended up in a big swimmin' hole pool pretty quick, but was a gorgeous little section, and still produced 30 fish or so.

Even though I did break off a 5lb+ catfish, it was still a damn fine day of head clearin'. 80+ on a 3wt is a fine time.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
BigCliff: Thanks for the trip report, that is a very nice looking area (good to see something besides snow or leaveless trees). Congrats on the great looking fish! Like you said it must have been fun on a 3 wt.

Larry

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Like Larry I'm all about that no snow and green stuff :) The day looks like it was a beauty Cliff, plenty of fish, warm weather, cool water and some beer back in the cooler. The pictures are great and when you put up a bunch like this I feel like I got to know the place.

chuck s

Reaction score
Great report and pics!:thumbsupu I agree with you comment about those bass being pretty! They sure get colorful down that way. I love mixed bag fishing like that and the day you described sounds like getting close to heaven for sure!:cool:

whoknows

Reaction score
Nice report, good day of solid fishing. I am in Ohio and have a bunch of family in Oklahoma and Texas and have fished some areas but I have never seen a fish like that before from the wild it looks like a cichlid, as Im a geek about aquariums and have seen African ones in an aquarium but never seen one with such a tall body like that one. Care to share about it if you know more about it? Thanks!

Last edited:

txbevo

Reaction score
That indeed is a Rio Grand Cichlid that Cliff caught. It is a blast to catch. You would swear it lost 6" and 1/2 pound after you land one. The fight is great.

Nice report Cliff. Days like that are definitely are one of the pleasures of living in Texas in the spring.

wjc

Reaction score
Very picturesque spot, Cliff. And lots of nice bass as well. Thanks for taking all the pictures and the time to put them up. I'm also curious about fish #12. Looks like a great day.

Cheers,
Jim

wabi

Reaction score
Looks like a day to remember!
I usually go to my 3wt when I'm not targeting large fish, I may loose a big one in the process, but those smaller ones are plenty of fun.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Very picturesque spot, Cliff. And lots of nice bass as well. Thanks for taking all the pictures and the time to put them up. I'm also curious about fish #12. Looks like a great day.

Cheers,
Jim
They're locally known as a Rio Grande Perch, but Mexican Cichlid is more accurate.

They're the northernmost occurring cichlid, but still are all within about 3 hrs of Mexico.

They're quite finicky, and do indeed fight like a much bigger fish than they are.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Dude those guads and largemouth must have been a blast on a 3-wt! :D
Yes indeed.

That rod seems to have big-fish mojo somehow. I get into much bigger fish with it than with my 5wt. That catfish I broke off was already bending it down to the cork.