Should I Submit To Dnr?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

kayakcruser

Reaction score
went fishing tonight and i cought a 2 puond 1 ounce red ear sunfish. I'M NOT LYING!!! im getting the photos developed as im writing this. i will post pics. but should i calla the dnr or what i think it might be a recored.

freeze69

Reaction score
kayakcruser said:
went fishing tonight and i cought a 2 puond 1 ounce red ear sunfish. I'M NOT LYING!!! im getting the photos developed as im writing this. i will post pics. but should i calla the dnr or what i think it might be a recored.
not sure how it works in michigan. but in indiana you must keep the fish and have it weighed on a stated certified scale, (usually at a supermarket or something of the such) then you have to fill out the paper work and have it signed by some witnesses, you might even have to provide photos of the fish, and wait usually the dnr or someone else will ask to see the fish to verify that it is actually what you stated. from what i saw in michigan's dnr booklet it should be a new state record. if it is congratulations, if by some chance it isn't congratulations that's still a big red ear sunfish. can't wait to see the photo's. and again congratulations.

fshfanatic

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You could submit it for a C&R record, but you need detailed measurements.

kayakcruser

Reaction score
well when i caught it i thought i was a bass or something then i got it in the boat and i freaked out!!!!

kayakcruser

Reaction score
fshfanatic said:
You could submit it for a C&R record, but you need detailed measurements.
well i wanted to keep her really bad but my mom only lets me keep about 10 every month to eat ,and me and my best freind jordan already cought some the weekend before.when i measured it in the picture i had its tail on zero and its mouth shut on 11.5.

BigCliff

Reaction score
my mom only lets me keep about 10 every month to eat
That's the first mother-enforced-catch-and-release I've heard of, and God bless her for it. The big sunfish you caught is most likely a female, and the largest females of any fish species produce tons of eggs. So by releasing that one you put back a prolific breeder that also has good genetics to pass on to all the babies she puts into the lake.

For the C&R record Mike is talking about, you'll need to get a girth measurement as well, so have a tape with you the next time you catch that robust redear and you'll be set!