Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 62
  1. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
    I was hoping that if we kept telling these huge carp stories, you would get so excited that you would let go a few tidbit pointers about actually catching them on a fly....
    The only thing I can really tell you is that you have to be sneaky. The common carp will actually chase a bug, the grassies you damn near have to land the bug in thier mouths..

    I have caught the commons (my favorite) on just aabout everything I have thrown at them..

    The Grass Carp are tougher. I like hunting them with #12 Royal Stimmi's, on top
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Quote Originally Posted by Salmo Nella
    I was hoping that if we kept telling these huge carp stories, you would get so excited that you would let go a few tidbit pointers about actually catching them on a fly....
    I would love to help you but have never actually hooked one. Never really went specifically targeting them but would like to do so on Flaming Gorge this year.
    All Means All

  3. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    I haven't ever targeted them myself, but have stumbled across a few here and there. I have been surprised at how picky they can be, pretty frustrating when your not used to giving this so called trash fish much credit.

  4. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Quote Originally Posted by royalcutt
    I haven't ever targeted them myself, but have stumbled across a few here and there. I have been surprised at how picky they can be, pretty frustrating when your not used to giving this so called trash fish much credit.
    I think they are:
    1: One of the smartest fish out there.
    2: One of the pickiest fish out there
    3: One of the spookyest fish out there.
    4: Pound for pound one of the hardest fighting fish.

    When I started targeting them it took me 2-3 trips before I hooked my first fish. That was all it took. They are fun.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Thanks
    I can see I am going to have some fun of a different fishing kind this summer.

  6. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Those carp are not nearly as hard to catch with a bow and arrow. Oops, I forgot this is supposed to be a fly fishing forum.

  7. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Quote Originally Posted by WDRookie
    Those carp are not nearly as hard to catch with a bow and arrow. Oops, I forgot this is supposed to be a fly fishing forum.
    Why would you want to shoot them with an arrow? They are a fantastic game fish that are more hardy then just about any other fresh water fish. Here in the U.S. we tend to think of them as trash fish but that is not the case. In Japan and other Asian countries, the carp lives in crystal clear, clean, cold water. Here in the U.S. we have pushed them out as trash and they are relegated to more of the dirtier waters. The only reason they are there is because they are hardy enough to handle it. It is kind of like the Rocky Mountain Whitefish. People around here complain about them and make comments like, "I just chuck em' on the banks" but that is ridiculous. They are a hard fighting fish that can be taken on dries and have saved many a day that might have otherwise ended up in a skunk. No, don't shoot the carp with a bow and arrow. Try hooking them with a fly. You might just find out they are a cooler fish then you give them credit for.
    All Means All

  8. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Fun fighters and smart as well. Carp hunting with a bow is a blast! In many areas in Calif they tend to over populate the lakes and cause great damage to vegitation. This is a way of controlling the population.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    I never said that carp would not be a great fish to catch on the Fly. I fact I think just the opposite. That is why I chimed in about the presentation that I attended in Athens a couple of weekends ago. I went with the inttentions of learning to catch them. That being said there is nothing wrong with bow fishing too. All of this attitude of catch and only release that is so popular now days is just as wrong as keep everything that comes out of the water. Total release leads to overpopulation and smaller less healthy fish. The key is balance. Take a few release the rest. Now with bow fishing you don't get to release and most people don't eat them but if you ever spend much time looking for and observing the carp you will see there is not a shortage of them and bow fishing helps maintain that balance. I will be fly fishing for them this summer but I bet the bow fishing won't hurt my chances either.

  10. Default Re: Fly Fishing for Carp

    Quote Originally Posted by WDRookie
    I never said that carp would not be a great fish to catch on the Fly. I fact I think just the opposite. That is why I chimed in about the presentation that I attended in Athens a couple of weekends ago. I went with the inttentions of learning to catch them. That being said there is nothing wrong with bow fishing too. All of this attitude of catch and only release that is so popular now days is just as wrong as keep everything that comes out of the water. Total release leads to overpopulation and smaller less healthy fish. The key is balance. Take a few release the rest. Now with bow fishing you don't get to release and most people don't eat them but if you ever spend much time looking for and observing the carp you will see there is not a shortage of them and bow fishing helps maintain that balance. I will be fly fishing for them this summer but I bet the bow fishing won't hurt my chances either.
    I have no problem with keeping fish for food. I just take issue with destroying something for sport that is not going to be eaten. I keep fish. I especially love a couple eight inch brook trout taken right back to camp and cooked on the fire. Or a smallmouth bass over the coals in a tin foil pack with lemon. MMMMMM! I just don't like to see things killed for no reason other then to kill them.
    All Means All

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Promises to Wife.
    By JBinUTAH in forum Fly Fishing Humor
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-19-2012, 01:33 PM
  2. Your best tip for saltwater fly fishing
    By BigCliff in forum Saltwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 01-18-2011, 02:27 AM
  3. Going to Lake Pleasant on Thursday!
    By fshfanatic in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-01-2006, 07:05 PM
  4. cw
    By chris white in forum Member Introductions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-11-2005, 11:09 AM
  5. Lake Fishing
    By WDRookie in forum Warmwater Fly Fishing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-15-2005, 05:03 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •