Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Default I love it when the fly works

Went to the local lake this evening and a couple guys with spinning outfits were fishing two of my favorite locations. One is a very small inlet cove with plenty of weeds and some sunken timber.

I went to another location within sight of the two and proceeded to catch several nice bluegill while I was also able to watch the others fish.

I noticed the guy at the cove was covering it well (looked like he was using a buzz bait), but having no luck.
    As soon as he left the other spin-fisher quickly headed for the cove and proceeded to cover it with casts (inline spinner or crank bait) but had no luck either.

When the second guy left I decided to give the cove a try. I walked over and cast across to the other shoreline and dropped my foam "Skip Morris Predator" within a foot of the edge of the weeds that break the surface. Let it lay for a minute, then gave it a slight twitch and it instantly disappeared in a swirl!

Not a big bass by any means, but it sure is fun to fool 'em with a fly after others have failed to get a strike with other tackle.

I've fished the lake with a fly rod for several years now, and other than my son I've never seen another person with a fly rod there. I think the flies have a real advantage when the fish have never seen one before. This lake is heavily fished, but I seldom fail to catch fish on a fly. I have noticed the areas I fish are usually popular for a few days after other people watch me hauling in (and releasing) fish after fish when I go. Someday they'll figure it out and I'll maybe I'll see someone else casting flies.
    Mike

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Wink Re: I love it when the fly works

Ooooo, when I first read your 'thread header' I thought the Mod's might be all over this one.....

When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Default Re: I love it when the fly works

Good Story. I do agree that we warm water guys have a distinct advantage with flies than do the other people with other lures. I have a next door neighbor who I've got his gears turning... He will be buying his first fly rig-- if it were up to him, the purchase would've happened yesterday --(soon he will have a vice and all of the tying materials as well.... LOL).

We've been practicing with my rods in our front yards. He's getting pretty good at casting, and I've already gotten him into fish on the water with one of my rods. He's hooked.

Inline spinners and texas rigged worms have always worked and will always work-- but you are right, when something new is in front of fish, they just can't help themselves but to take.

And Speaking of things the fish don't regularly see-- The slump buster lived up to it's name today with a 2.5/ 3 LB'er and a few in the 1 to 2 lb range during a nice light rain. If you haven't tried the slump buster, I encourage you to do so. Easy tie as well.

Tony

4. Default Re: I love it when the fly works

wabi, i think you are addicted. another nice pic.......rap

Hey Mike,

I was wondering, it sounds like the fish took on the top-- were you using the predator as a top water bug or was it on a sink line and the fish took before it had a chance to get down?

Am I even thinking of the right pattern with regards to the sinking line?

I haven't tried the pattern as I only have sink tips and full sinks for my 8 wt. Naturally, it is the rod that gets fished the least.....

Quote Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
    Hey Mike,

I was wondering, it sounds like the fish took on the top-- were you using the predator as a top water bug or was it on a sink line and the fish took before it had a chance to get down?

Am I even thinking of the right pattern with regards to the sinking line?

I haven't tried the pattern as I only have sink tips and full sinks for my 8 wt. Naturally, it is the rod that gets fished the least.....
    I was using it with a floating line and fishing it on top.
    I tie it with a deer hair or synthetic tail and dubbing to contrast with the color of the foam.
    Here's one pattern I've been tying -

Once it gets eaten by a couple fish the dubbing gets wet and it barely floats. I can get it to sink just below the surface if I retrieve it in short strips, then it pops back to the top when I pause the retrieve. I've had plenty of hits from bluegill while it's submerged.
    I believe it was designed to be fished on a sinking line to rise above the bottom (or weeds) but to be fished submerged. I haven't tried it with a sinking line yet, because it's been very effective on top.
    Mike