Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Default Top water surprise

While out on my yak-- harassing the sunnies and gills-- this fella hit my hopper pattern.

I was throwing my 3 wt. for sunnies, gills and small LM bass. Using a #10 bright yellow hopper pattern.

This guy hit hard, and ran for a moment until he got me into some thick hydrilla.... I wasn't so sure that I'd get him out on such light gear. several minutes and a few profanities later, I finagled him out and he proceeded to drag me around for a bit. Based on the length of the 'center console' on my yak, I estimate him to be in the 20- 22" range. Good fighter and slimy like all of the cats....

An interesting way to end a leisurely evening of pan fishing.

I'd heard that cats will take bugs off of the surface, but in a few years of fly fishing, I hadn't seen it-- until this year-- this is the third cat that I've taken on hoppers.

Default Re: Top water surprise

That's just awesome!

Blog Entries

Hi T,

I've caught channel cats on streamers that acted like a salmon when they made a run. Not a lot of jumping but bottom hugging bulldog runs. Cats' and carp both were a possibility on dry flies when I lived in their range.

Great catch, I know that made the whole trip for ya,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Very cool!

Very cool Tony...Bet you had a great time with him...

Dan

this is exactly what i was expecting to see when i saw this thread title. they will rise around here almost as good as the bluegill some times
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Great looking cat. Catfish and crappy are my favorite warm water fish to eat. I'd love to catch cats on a fly.
    -Tom Wilson
    Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Great catch especially on a 3 weight-- must have been a blast.
    Mark

9. Default Re: Top water surprise

Congrats. I caught a bunch with my little girls on friday. I didn't get them on a fly, but I did get a bunch on an ultralight rod. They are an awful lot of fun on light lines and light rods.

Blog Entries

great fish! plus topwater on a 3 weight......had to be a blast!!

casey

ARFE