River Float...

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Two of my fishing buddies and I did a float trip with our pontoons on one of our favorite local streams. This section of the river is our "Long Float", and usually takes us 10 to 12 hours depending on how cooperative the fish are...

The day started out a bit slow for all of us; the fish didn't want anything to do with top water flies. We fished crayfish imitations, streamers, and leech patterns for the most part.

This is a nice Smallie taken by Gary with a Crayfish pattern...

Jim favors a Leech pattern and does very well with them...

I took a few on Crayfish and a few including this little guy on the Leech...

Pike like Crayfish to, I was going to make a few casts on the flat in front of where we took a lunchbreak...2/3 of a warmwater slam; now where are those Carp...:D

Got off the river about 9:30 PM; a long day but fun; and No, didn't manage a slam this trip.

Dan

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Fysh, we've been floating the toons in the summer and chasing Steelies and Salmon together for about 10 years; and we always have a good time whether the fishing is good or not...:)

Milt, we see very little traffic on this river; this particular day we had three kayaks and a canoe go by us and we saw one of the local residents playing in his canoe way down river of us...

Davo, we try and get out as often as possible; either chasing SMB like this trip or floating some of our MI trout streams. We try to hit the local streams together at least once a week.

Frank, Jim's a tool and diemaker by trade and a tinkerer by nature; he built the oar rests so they would be out of the way while fishing. What you can't see well in the pic is the awesome rod holder he built; it holds the rod tip at about 45 degrees, but has it spring loaded so you can lower it to nearly horizontal for passing under low hanging foliage or bridges...

They're great guys to fish with and tie flies with...

Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: That river looks ideal for a float on pontoons and doing it with fishing buddies makes it even better, thanks for sharing. Next time you guys fish together take a close up photo of the oar holder and rod holder, sounds very interesting.

Larry