Fishing From Shore

DullHook

Reaction score
Wasn't sure where exactly to put this so please move it if desired and accept my apologies in advance.

First, I have been a spinning/baitcaster fisherman for the past 10 years or so. Last year a friend put a fly rod in my hand and we hit the river. It was some of the best fishing I've ever had. A few months ago I injured my knee and wading the rivers is too much for me at this point. Missing that feeling of a fish tugging on the end of my fly rod I've been thinking about taking the fly rod and applying to where I can fish - lakes and ponds.

I fish 90% of the time from shore. Due you think it would be worthwhile to pursue fishing lakes and ponds from shore with a fly rod? Would a fly rod be as productive as a spinning rod from shore? I would be in pursuit of the usual - LM/SM Bass, Bluegill, etc - the usual suspects you would find in a pond/lake. :)

Thank you for any advice you can give and please excuse my ignorance on the subject.

Joni

Reaction score
Personally I think fly fishing can be as productive as a spinning out fit, but there is a few things to consider. #1. How well and far can you cast a fly
#2. What is the surrounding area like that you will be fishing from. Any obsticles to get in the way.
#3 How clear is the water, can they see you. #4. Do you have a sink tip or a sinking line that you are comfortable casting due to the weight of the line.
It is a little tougher to fly fish from shore on a lake, but it definitly can be done, and with as much success.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
You should check out a Kayak or Pontoon boat. You can fish them with out using your feet. They fish a river or pond very well. -------Frank

tightlines57

Reaction score
Many of the lakes in urban Phoenix do not allow boats, tubes or pontoons. I do a lot of fishing from shore with pretty good success. It is like any other fishing, the right fly at the right depth at the right time. The best is in the spring during the spawn. Run a clouser or wooly bugger through their bed and bass will usually go after it.

DullHook

Reaction score
#1. How well and far can you cast a fly
Well, back when I was fishing on the rivers here there was never a need to cast further than 40-50 at max. Most of the time only 20 feet was all that was needed. On the ponds and lakes that I fish, I generally catch fish fairly close to shore. Last year I caught 15-20 fish about 15' from shore.
#2. What is the surrounding area like that you will be fishing from. Any obsticles to get in the way.
On one of the local lakes that I fish at alot I have maybe 20-25' or so behind me before I will be into trees. Moving on around I will have an infinite amount of space behind me but the water has never been that prodcutive on that side. Elswhere, I generally have plenty of room although sometimes I might be casting from a floating dock.
#3 How clear is the water, can they see you.
Obviously it varies from place to plave but generally water is stained and sometimes mirky.
#4. Do you have a sink tip or a sinking line that you are comfortable casting due to the weight of the line.
At this moment, I have no fly fishing gear. I always borrowed my friends when we hit the rivers.

Joni

Reaction score
Then my answeer is GO FOR IT! You sound like you got all the bases covered and you know what to do.....all that is left is PICTURES! I love PICTURES.
Tight lines to you
Joni

Jakeway

Reaction score
I'm fortunate that I live near a large resevoir (Old Hickory Lake) in Tennesee. We have 440 miles of shoreline, with many boat ramps, parks, etc., 4 of them within 5 minutes of my house. I keep a 5 weight rod behind the seat of my pickup, and I often will hit one of the boat ramps at lunchtime or in the evenings when I've got a little time to fish, but not enough time to mess with a boat.I found that fishing from shore has improved my casting, since in some places I need to roll cast, or side-arm cast parallel to the shore, to keep from getting hung up in the trees behind me. I'd often catch a dozen or more bluegills and a bass or two in an hour's time. It's expecially good in the early spring when the back bays warm first. If there's a small stream intering the lake that's even better, and the run off water is usually warmer than the lake.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where exactly to put this so please move it if desired and accept my apologies in advance.

First, I have been a spinning/baitcaster fisherman for the past 10 years or so. Last year a friend put a fly rod in my hand and we hit the river. It was some of the best fishing I've ever had. A few months ago I injured my knee and wading the rivers is too much for me at this point. Missing that feeling of a fish tugging on the end of my fly rod I've been thinking about taking the fly rod and applying to where I can fish - lakes and ponds.

I fish 90% of the time from shore. Due you think it would be worthwhile to pursue fishing lakes and ponds from shore with a fly rod? Would a fly rod be as productive as a spinning rod from shore? I would be in pursuit of the usual - LM/SM Bass, Bluegill, etc - the usual suspects you would find in a pond/lake. :)

Thank you for any advice you can give and please excuse my ignorance on the subject.
Hi dullhook, how are you getting paragraphs in your post???--------Frank