Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default my clouser pattern

I have devised a clouser pattern that has been catching very large bass( it is still a prototype) so i thought i would share it. It is a mix of ep fiber and bucktail.

Default Re: my clouser pattern

Is there a way to get a bigger pic? Can't see the fly.

it is still be worked on because after a couple fish it is destroyed so i need to figure out a way to keep the materials from wrapping around

Blog Entries

That'll work, nice fly with good color and the all important lateral line going on!

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
    it is still be worked on because after a couple fish it is destroyed so i need to figure out a way to keep the materials from wrapping around

Before I suggest a fix, a couple of quick questions. What damage are the fish doing? By materials wrapping around, do you mean around the hook or is the whole thing coming loose and rotating?

Wet your thread base with head cement before you add the hair clumps, then apply head cement over each set of thread wraps before adding more hair. This should make your flies more durable and the materials shouldn't spin on the shaft (which is what it sounds like your problem is?)
    Floggin' Water since I was 3. Have you hugged a fish today?

Try a little dab of softex or exoflex between the eyes and the bend of the hook. Work it thru the fibers with a bodkin, this will keep it from fouling.
    I don't always fly fish but when I do I prefer salt water. Stay salty my freinds

the materials are wrapping around the hook alot even when casting. i think its because ep fibers arnt very stiff. Im just trying to marry synthetics and naturals in a clouser pattern to bring out the best in both materials

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by grassonfly View Post
    the materials are wrapping around the hook alot even when casting. i think its because ep fibers arnt very stiff. Im just trying to marry synthetics and naturals in a clouser pattern to bring out the best in both materials
    I have a cure for that but it turns it into a new fly. I tied some this way this fall for the same reason. I tie the hair pattern at the hook bend and cover enough tith thread to get to behind the eyes leaving a bit of room. Maybe an 1/8". I then push a section of woven mylar tube over the previous thread covered parts. Then I essentially do the clouser part making none of the front stuff go past the hook bend. It doubles the work and takes more material but it ends the wrapping problems. I'll take a photo of one I did that way and post it.

hmm thats interesting dan. I tied a bendback with a rattle today ill be sure to post that too

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast