Snakeheads: Anyone Take Them on the Fly?

kibby

Reaction score
My son and nephews are planning a trip this winter for all of us to go to Florida and do a little fishing. I'd love to catch a Snakehead (just to say I did). Do any of you guys ever catch them?

Reaction score
I saw a report on the orvis blog a few months back of a guy who caught one on a fly. If you search the blog you might find the report

Last edited:

grassonfly

Reaction score
i havnt but i want to i knw a guy who catches them and he says you have one chance to cast as them and thats it they can feelyou step on the ground theyre very smart cast something top water move it fast snake like topwater works well

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I have heard that they are pretty tricky to catch. But if you do catch one, atleast cut its head off before you chuck it back into the water.

jhammer

Reaction score
I heard that streamers and topwaters work well for them. Particularly if you can cast a frog or mouse pattern near them. I believe that by law in some states they are to be immediately destroyed. Some even require that you notify the Fish & Game officer too. Some people give rough fish a bad rep and kill them, but these guys DO need wiped out. They pose a great threat to ecosystems.

Reaction score
I heard that streamers and topwaters work well for them. Particularly if you can cast frog or mouse patterns near them. I believe that by law in some states they are to be immediately destroyed. Some even require that you notify the Fish & Game officer too. :fishing:
definitely both destroy and notify F&G in PA.

kibby

Reaction score
I hear they be good eating. If I do go south for a week this winter, I'll definitely be BBQing those freaky finned fellows! :eek:

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I've also heard they're fine to eat, but have never caught one or eaten them.

There is a guide I know, Capt. Mike Starrett (Indian Head Charters) who fishes the Potomac River and has caught them on flies & has had some clients catch them on flies as well. He fishes a lot of big deer hair bugs for bass, but don't recall if the Snakeheads were caught on them or not.

He has some pictures posted on his website of some that have been caught, but there are no captions to go with the pics, and unfortunately, he fishes with other tackle too. (Check 2011 photo's, #77 is a client with a big one & #86 is Mike with a big Snakehead!)

He posts some of his successes with some comments on another site I visit frequently, and I know he caught some Snakeheads late in the season this year on flies. I'll send him an email & find out!

kibby

Reaction score
Jeremy Wade caught his on a frog bait. I'm thinking that anything drawn fast and wiggly would work up a strike. I'd like to go fishing with Jeremy Wade!

rasputinj

Reaction score
Never heard of them. Very prehistoric looking. What is the story on how they got there?
I think there were some Asian markets which brought in live fish. Not exactly sure how thy made it into the Maryland Pond of other areas like the Potomac river.

Reaction score
2011 saw about 28 Potomac Pike caught. Most all where on horny toads. The ones that hit flies got away and only one was landed in 2011. But they like dalbergs , big dalbergs and a few on big Waldorf Hair bugs.

A lot of mis-information in this thread. They are some of the best eating fish ever. Fancy resturants buy it up head on for 10 bucks a pound. They taste like sweet flounder..

True they are invasive and so is LGmouth.. see how that turned out..

They are not easy to land either..

Capt Mike