Trout to Bass

rjw

Reaction score
Living in Utah, and learning all I know here all that I have ever fly fished for is trout. I may be getting an internship back home in Ohio next summer and knowing the lack of good trout fishing I was looking into picking up a heavier rod and going for bass. Anyone have any good general tips on the transfer from trout to bass, where to fish, times of day, etc? I was planning on going mostly streamers, any go-to flies to begin tying during these cold winter months? Being that I wasn't much into fishing when I was younger I have very little bass experience and don't really know much about how to fish for them. Thanks in advance guys!

jml43

Reaction score
on the golf course fishing in Charlotte NC
I really don't trout fish at all. But I do bass fish a lot. Streamers that I would use would be the deceiver or clouser minnows. i usually make these about 3" long. Sometimes right around 2" with a smaller hook and catch crappie and bass. I always use white, red, lots of flash. I always had better luck with a red head and eyes on my streamers. Hope this helps.

SkipS

Reaction score
I agree with the gurglers and a 6wt.I throw poppers 90% of the time but I use wolly buggers also.Black,white or olive all work and I tie most of them with estaz.Instead of marabou,tie some with saddle hackles for a tail.You might also want to upline a 6wt rod with a 7wt line to make casting easier.Bass will hit all day lohg but I do best from about 9am-noon and the last 2 hours of daylight.

bigjim5589

Reaction score
I'll agree with what's already been said! I usually tell folks to forget what you've learned about trout. Bass are not trout. But, if you get to fish for stream Smallmouths, there are similarities with them & trout. Generally, think big for bass, but you can use some types of trout flies you may already have. Big hopper, or Stonefly patterns you may have used for trout, particularly those tied with foam bodies, are great for bass as well, and especially Smallmouths. Big nymphs, on at least size 6 hooks, will also work well for Smallmouths.

Largemouths will also sometimes eat these flies, but they're more inclined to eat big baitfish or crayfish patterns than small insects, at least bass of any size. You can however have a lot of fun with smaller bass (under 2 lbs) & small flies, and even a big bass will occasionally eat the smaller flies! Nothing is cast in stone when it comes to bass!

Most of my Largemouths flies are very large, 4 inches long minimum & many are over 6 inches and I also like Deceivers & Clousers, but I fish in tidalwater most of the time, and fish for Striper's there too, so I use flies that may entice both.

Nothing wrong with a 6 wt for bass, I've fished for them plenty with a 6 wt, but it will limit the size flies you might have to use, and bass flies tend to be more wind resistant than what you're likely used to. Depending on the waters you find in Ohio, at some point you might want to consider a heavier rod, such as an 8 wt. I've even used a 6 wt when fishing for Striper's, and it will work on smaller fish, but an 8 wt would give you more options & better chances of landing bigger bass. That's something you can deal with later, once you find what's there. If there are Pike or Muskies there, you may want to have a heavier rod anyway! :D

Keep in mind that Bass are glutton's, you almost can't toss a fly that is too big at them! ;)

biggie_robs

Reaction score
Don't worry so much about how your fly lands; sometimes/usually a bigger splash is better for largemouth. When fishing poppers in stillwater, my first approach is to literally count to thirty before giving the fly any action. You want all the rings to have died down before giving the fly a little twitch. Then maybe a pop. Then wait a bit. Then a twitch, etc...

Sometimes a lunker is sitting just under that splashmaker wondering what to do and then when it twitches--KerBLAM! :D

Experiment with the timing of it if that doesn't work, but I've found that starting out working poppers a lot slower than you would like pays off more often than not.

williamhj

Reaction score
Might you also go for smallmouth? In a river near where I lived in Michigan the smallies were great. Black wooley buggers cast to the bank and stripped as they went downstream could be killer. But don't for get the dries. Bass would rise during a hatch, like trout, but were much less picky both in terms of presentation and fly selection. No need for the 18s or smaller. It was a blast during the hex hatch.

lancer09

Reaction score
Don't trout set, a bass's mouth is much tougher than any trouts that I have experienced and have lost some good fish because I didn't set hard enough... Strip strike, that's the ticket.

Just liek trout you want to "match the hatch" albeit the "hatch" will more than likely be some sort of panfish or shad. Have flies to match both. Also have some flies that are more flash than not. Like everyone else said big flies can catch even small bass, some of the biggest bass I've seen have tried to eat eight or nine inch gills. but sometimes subtlety is the ticket. I catch more bass on a drakes wounded minnow more than anything, with a feew wraps of lead in the head.

I unlike a lot of bass fisherman don't fish a lot of clousers, they sink to fast for the shallow weed filled ponds taht I fish.

Be ready to throw heavy tippets, bass aren't spooked by them, and if you do hook a bass if you can horse it. There is a reason you see tournament anglers skiing fish back to the boat... partly to keep them from getting away but also because when a bass is hooked they head STRAIGHT for cover. They won't peel a ton of line but they will fight the whole time ou have them hooked, don't expect a bass to just come in like a log like some trout do.

Poppers are fun, you might see a swirl the size of a flushing toilet when a bass busts a popper. I've see more big bass caught on small bluegill sneaky peats than any other fly, fish them, catch with them, they work, I promise.

A word to the wise, don't neglect some of the other warmwater species out there as well. Carp are fun and challenging, if you can find a run of whates or hybrids, they are a blast, and pound for pound some of the strongest fighting fish you'll find, and even a ten inch blue gill will be as hard to catch as a big bass, and can be as much fun.

rjw

Reaction score
wow thanks a lot guys! started tying last night, keep any more tips coming! Do you guys strip clousers and other streamers the same as you would for trout or are you more aggressive?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
They'll tell you how they want it, just vary the retrieve until you find what that is. Sometimes it will be subtle, other times aggressive. Once you establish what's working, just keep doing it, until they want something different. Bass & most other warmwater species can be as moody as trout, but not usually as often!

Your retrieve will also vary depending on the water, just like with trout. Adjust for current, or lack of it, and as long as you're getting the fly where they can see it, you'll do fine! :D

ditz

Reaction score
Actually I don't think you can switch from trout to bass. I know you can't switch from bass to trout.:D Don't forget to try some small to med hair bugs. They can be real killers. Top water for bass is great. I will say that I spend more time fishing gills than bass. They are so much fun. Carp, buffalo, and drum are my next targets. I am gearing up. I just have to find some.:eek:

dpreller

Reaction score
living in md we have some fair trout fishing opprotunities,but we have lots of warm water fishing.riversmallies are a great fly rod fish a 6 or 7 will work great for medium size poppers amd streamers.wooly buggers and clousers work real well for both large and smallmouth.dont forget about the trout outfit you have now as others have said a pond full of 8-10 inch blue gills and 10-12 inch crappie and a four weight may just be the most fun you can have with your clothes on.lol.

Reaction score
Found this thread on a search for bass info.
I'm thinking to get some bass fishing in this year.

Question is about rods
I have an 8wt, mostly used for steelhead, and 5wt for trout (and a 3 wt, which is out of the question from what i've read so far). So is the 8 wt overkill, and the 5 wt too light? would a 6 or 7 be better suited.
Im not adverse to buying a new rod, but if i can get by with what have that would be good to, at least for the time being

Thanks

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Eunan, you can certainly catch bass on most any weight fly rod. It depends on the waters you're fishing. I've used a 3 or 4 wt for Smallmouths in some very small streams, so even they are not out of the question. In these streams a 12" fish is a big one.

I've also done a good amount of bass fishing with a 6 wt. and have even landed a 30" Striped Bass with it, hooked while fishing for SM or LM bass in the Susquehanna. That size rod limits the size flies, & how far you can efficiently cast them as you increase the fly size. That Striper was hooked on a fly tied on a 2/0 hook, not something that casts well with a 6 wt, but it can be accomplished with a short cast. The majority of the bass I've caught on a 6 wt, have been under 3 lbs.

The 8 wt is a good all around rod for bass, but in some places & particularly where the average size bass may be small, it will be overkill. I have an 8 wt, and use it for bass often enough.

I also use my 9 & sometimes 10 wt for tidal river bass. More so because there's a lot of heavy cover, so dragging even a 2 lb bass out of the weeds needs a heavy rod, and because there's the possibility of hooking Striped bass as well. Plus, the heavier rod allows me to cast some really big flies.

Since you have both an 8 wt & a 5 wt, that would be a good place to start, and you should be able to choose one over the other for whatever water you decide to chase bass in & either will certainly work.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Found this thread on a search for bass info.
I'm thinking to get some bass fishing in this year.

Question is about rods
I have an 8wt, mostly used for steelhead, and 5wt for trout (and a 3 wt, which is out of the question from what i've read so far). So is the 8 wt overkill, and the 5 wt too light? would a 6 or 7 be better suited.
Im not adverse to buying a new rod, but if i can get by with what have that would be good to, at least for the time being

Thanks
Eunan,

You might be the motivation I need. I've been meaning to hit a few LargeMouth lakes in South Jersey. You want to drive over the bridge and meet me there? I use a 6 or a 7WT. A five can handle the abuse but throwing some of the bigger flies is a pain in the A@$ with a 5wt.

Marco

bigjim5589

Reaction score
Eunan, I've never fished up that way, but have heard there are Smallmouths in the Schuylkill River. Also the Delaware & the Susquehanna. I've never fished the Delaware either, but have in the Suskie. Mostly the section here in MD, but also above Harrisburg. The section near Middletown (Bob Clousers area) looks like it should be great for fly fishing too!

I've been all over PA with my job, just never had the opportunity to fish up there much.

Reaction score
Eunan,

You might be the motivation I need. I've been meaning to hit a few LargeMouth lakes in South Jersey. You want to drive over the bridge and meet me there? I use a 6 or a 7WT. A five can handle the abuse but throwing some of the bigger flies is a pain in the A@$ with a 5wt.

Marco
Marco, that sounds like a damn good plan. I'll have to tie up some new flies and get some info on NJ license. I wont be able to do it for a couple weeks tho as i've stuff on the weekends through Jan, so Feb is the earliest i could make it.
How's that sound?

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Marco, that sounds like a damn good plan. I'll have to tie up some new flies and get some info on NJ license. I wont be able to do it for a couple weeks tho as i've stuff on the weekends through Jan, so Feb is the earliest i could make it.
How's that sound?
We have some time. Bass fishing is very slow right now, fish are deep. Early Spring will bring some good prespawn action. The water temps will tell us when to fish. Water temps above 45 bring them out of the deep (usually mid March-April). When water temps hit ~60 that triggers the spawn, then the bite will slow down significantly for 20-30 days.