Bendbacks

grassonfly

Reaction score
I have come up with various bendback patterns because of the weeds in my lakes and because the monofilament weedguards suck to put it nicely. Im wonderig if anyone here has a interesting bendback pattern. I tie a deceiver bendback( a bendback with hackle and a gill). also does anyone tie them with synthetics?

bigjim5589

Reaction score
The majority of the bendbacks I've tied are two colors of bucktail, some flash, sometimes a topping of peacock herl & a body of crystal chenille or estaz, or sometimes a wrapped body of diamond braid or mylar tubing. I also add some grizzly hackle sides. Most have been in a size range from 2 to 3/0.

Occasionally I'll tie small ones as well, down to size 6, and with other types of hair such as arctic or red fox tail.

I've tied them in many color combinations but most of the time they're basic, such as chartreuse over white, or olive over white.

Although I don't think the fish care, I usually add eyes to them as well.

So far, I've not attempted them with synthetics.

I have a couple bendbacks that I purchased (got them cheap on Ebay with other flies in a lot) that were tied with a material similar to ultra hair, may even be ultra hair. I guess they'll catch some fish, but I haven't used them. My preference is for materials that have some movement to it, and some synthetics may be OK. I've used natural materials for so long on bendbacks, I'm reluctant to change. :rolleyes:

gatortransplant

Reaction score
While I was home fishing saltwater, I tied some clouser-type bendbacks on inline circle hooks. Haven't got a shot at trying them, but I'm intrigued. I'll take a photo or two when I get a chance, need some saltwater fishermen to give em a test.

BigCliff

Reaction score
I've been focusing alot on bendbacks lately, and landed a nice red on one saturday.

Recipe:

Size 1 34011 hook

Two pieces of .030 lead wire lashed to the shank, overwrapped with pearl sparkle braid

Two colors of bucktail, darker on top- ginger and brown, black and grey, etc

Flash down the sides of the bucktail

Head made with a 1.5-2" dubbing loop of ice dubbing, picked out then swept back

3D Holo dome eyes glued on with superglue

I'll try to get some pics of the flies, but here's Saturday's fish-

Rip Tide

Reaction score
I tie a bendback Dahlberg diver that's pretty unusual. A pattern that I learned from the old Warm Water Fly Fishing magazine
It's tied on a 3/0 mustad 3407.... no smaller :eek:
Deadly in topwater salad

jml43

Reaction score
on the golf course fishing in Charlotte NC
I use a lot of bendbacks. I use them for Bass. They are great. I have only used bucktails, a little strip of flash, then bucktails on top. I think I have about five to eight different colors. They range form pearl to chart. I started coping my crankbaits that I use on the lake. I have also tied them down to a size 4 hook and used them for crappie, however always caught more bass than crappie. I like using natural materials than sync. Thats just me.

jimw

Reaction score
I use these alot on rock jettys and in beds of eel grass. I use mostly bucktail and have been putting a little softex between the eye and the point and work it into the bucktail with a bodkin. This makes it more weedless than a texas rigged worm. You dont need much just enough to stiffen the bucktail near the eye.

tbblom

Reaction score
Can someone post a photo of a bendback?

Our ponds here become "top water salad" as soon as it gets warm.
I've tried some 'hook up' versions that work for a while. Interested to see some other weed proof versions for bass or carp (or whatever is swimming!)

spug

Reaction score
spug why do you tie in multiple places down the hookshank istead of the standard bendback way
Helps fill the body up nicely. I wrapped the shank in between with large Ultra Wire to get a good drop.

---------- Post added at 07:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 AM ----------

Not sure you're asking the right person- This is Fly
I used a #1 Gami B10S Stinger because they have a nice, wide gap. Don't bend them too much or they will break. High tying with bucktail is nothing new. It's been around for years in the North East and is an awesome way to buid wide sided bodies. I originally learned this technique from a guy at a shop in Maryland where I grew up but that was for some huge baitfish patterns for big Stripers. It rides amazing with the Ultra Wire on the shank and looks really good in the water.

Last edited:

BigCliff

Reaction score
High tying with bucktail is nothing new. It's been around for years in the North East and is an awesome way to buid wide sided bodies. I originally learned this technique from a guy at a shop in Maryland where I grew up but that was for some huge baitfish patterns for big Stripers. It rides amazing with the Ultra Wire on the shank and looks really good in the water.
Yeah I'm aware. I was actually kind of amazed at the amount of press Thomas Harvey's been getting on that one here lately.

I recall learning about it around 2001 when somebody was using circle hooks and super hair for them, and it was in Fly Tyer or FFISW or something.

spug

Reaction score
Isn't that the Carolina Fly guy? He ties some nasty stuff!

My buddy down here also showed me one a couple years ago that he fishes the lights with. It's a smaller bendback all high tied with Farrar Flash Blend down the shank. That stuff works great too.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

I have come up with various bendback patterns because of the weeds in my lakes and because the monofilament weedguards suck to put it nicely. Im wonderig if anyone here has a interesting bendback pattern. I tie a deceiver bendback( a bendback with hackle and a gill). also does anyone tie them with synthetics?
Sorry to jack your thread man!

grassonfly

Reaction score
Isn't that the Carolina Fly guy? He ties some nasty stuff!

My buddy down here also showed me one a couple years ago that he fishes the lights with. It's a smaller bendback all high tied with Farrar Flash Blend down the shank. That stuff works great too.

---------- Post added at 10:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 AM ----------

Sorry to jack your thread man!
its all good the more the merrier and now i have a new bendback to tie