Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Spring is almost here

Default Re: Spring is almost here

There'll be more trips for sure, particularly April and may, prime dry fly season!

Here's a good bookmark for conditions up there - Delaware River Club. Its updated daily during the season. Weekly in the off season

Blog Entries

I met the guys from the DRC at the Somerset show, they really got me looking forward to fishing dries down there. I'm also looking at picking up some sort of water transport, whether its a 'toon, a float, or what. I'd love to have a drift boat, but I'm a broke college student
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

water transport is key! But there is public access too, though its limited. Water transport also requires two cars!

Wednesdays work for me, weekends are tough. Just let me know when
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

I've been neglecting the stocked trout at the local lake, searching the local warmwater stream for signs of anything this past week. I saw a minnow, but haven't caught anything yet.

Blog Entries

Actually, Wednesdays are perfect for me this semester as well. And presumably we'll have at least two cars, since we'll be driving from a number of places! This is starting to sound all too tempting...
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

I'll bring the fishing buggy, and the yak on top if it's needed
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Felt like spring today. Managed a few yellow perch from the Lehigh. Maybe that scar on the pickerel is from a blue heron taking a bad stab or an osprey who couldn't hold on . Couple of years back thought it was raining brook trout on a local road. Turned out to be an osprey who dropped his catch. When he went to retrieve it got hit by a car.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    The last few weeks I've been driving back to NY to fish my early season spots. I should be exploring some early season NJ spots, but old habits die hard. The Bass still haven't woken up but a handful of Pickerel kept me busy most of the afternoon. This guy was worth a pic because of his impressive scar. It confused me a bit because this is a small pond. There shouldn't be anything toothy thats big enough to do this so it must have happened when he was young. It also looks like he was inhaled head first and somehow got away?

[IMG][/IMG]
    You'd be surprised. I got a 38 1/2" Pike once that was far worse chewed up than that. My Navy buddy Fred got a 40 1/2" that had a bite that made it all the way around it. And last but not least, the biggest Pike I ever saw in my entire life was in a little lake that if they allowed motors you be at the other side about the time you got it up on plane. If that fish weighed less than 40 pounds I'd eat my hat. I live in a spot with really big Pike and I have seen them try and eat stuff that looks way to big and make it.

Now for the signs of Spring, it's -21 F right now as I type this. You might be getting signs, but up here the order for the signs have not been placed yet, let alone showed up.

I should probably add: The 38 1/2" Pike was torn up from an attempt to eat it. The 40 1/2" Pike was more likely from a fight over spawning territory. The 38 1/2" Pike had been gabbed sideways more down by the dorsal and then worked towards the head to turn and swallow it. It had the vast majority of it's body worked over and judging by the wat the fish had been working it, I think it was only 2 more moves from being turned when it escaped. I really want to catch the fish that did that.

Blog Entries

Spring is a far horizon here Marco. I still have another trip to the cabin coming up before the end of February and will stay through March. I'm putting together a freight load of building materials and when it's loaded I'll be back out in the snow & ice for another 2 months. The good news is that when the ice goes out the boat is right here & ready to go.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast