Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spring is almost here

Blog Entries

Default Re: Spring is almost here

We had a wonderful weather today...many almond trees are in blossom and saw some flowers on the prune tree...unfortunately I've been stuck inside for five days with a bad flu...so no fishing.Not sure the weather will be so nice for the next weeks

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Sorry to hear you have the flu JP. Get well soon so you can get us a photo of a 5 pound chub.

The fish I mentioned in my previous post. Here is Fred's 40 1/2" Pike. The bite has one side clearly visible on the side. The other side of the bite in on the back of the gill plate and is harder to see in the photo.

The 38 1/2" Pike one tried to eat is the next photo. This is the good looking side. The long bottom jaw teeth punched holes and made slices all over the fish. I wish I had taken a shot of the ugly side. The plates full of small teeth in the upper jaw yanked big chunks of skin off the other side. It was a mess. They are tough fish though. I've seen healed stuff that was way worse.
    It's hard to see most of it in this photo, but that line by the dorsal fin is a slice. There are two on it's back above my fingers. There were holes and cuts from it's dorsal fin to just behind the gill plate.

The next one is a small one I hooked that the biggest Pike I have ever had on (or dang close to it) grabbed. I have doubts as to it's survival. It was pretty abused.

On a side note, I went from -21 to + 27 in about four hours. That's almost a 50 degree swing. It was only that warm for about half an hour. It's +6 right now. Hey! At least it's above zero!

Autumn,The Fall in The US is around The Corner over here,the 1st March, even though lots of The Eucalypts are still Flowering.
    incidently a few weeks ago I caught a Rainbow with a Wound in it's side,I can't remember if I took a Shot of it.
    Brian.

Wow, now I know for sure that fishing is slow this year. This post is a year old, spring 2012 . This year unfortunately has been a little closer to a normal NE winter. Truth is I haven't gotten myself down to the water like I should. I'm using the cold as an excuse.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

5. Likes Ard liked this post
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

I'm butt deep in snow right now and it's still snowing. Need 4 wheel drive to get around town right now. Still no sign of Spring. This is actually the most snow we have had in a storm all winter. I'm going to have to shovel the roof after this.

Supposed to get another foot of snow this weekend and about another foot at the end of the following week. Spring is a long way off in Boston.

8. Default Re: Spring is almost here

It feels like spring here today, but since I still 8" of snow on the ground, guess I'll take down the rest of the holiday decor and go fishing a bit later on. Time to tie more flies for the season though.

Finally got out for the first real time this weekend. One small bass and one small bluegill. Was surprised I even caught anything as it was cloudy, windy, and still a little cold.

Weather is warming up but the wind has been howling like mad. It takes some serious wind for me to put down the flyrod, but I had to Here's a pair of early spring LM. I feel bad catching them this time of year, they're so thin and all they want to do is eat. Sorry guys, these meals were plastic

The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123