What I've been up to...

jhammer

Reaction score
It's getting about that time again. Since it's getting closer to spring, I've started tying more and more. I haven't posted much about tying because I've done so little of it this winter. I've been tying some foam bugs here and there since I've gotten my new 2wt. I tied up a few size 10 bugs and may do some 12's also. My little sister has been getting more into fly fishing again, so I've been working on a various box of goodies for her re-introduction too. I taught her when she was 8, but her interest kind of faded. Now, she's been asking questions and really wants to learn more. So, I'm making her a box that has foam bugs, woolly worms and buggers, and some of my mudbugs. I also tied some more of my kat killers because I ran out of material last summer and didn't get more until now. They're simple, quick, and catfish love them. (So do carp and drum! ;) )

Standard old foam bugs

Kat Killers

Reaction score
jhammer: those photos are causing my casting arm to twich. Nice job! I think I will try a few of the Kat killers.

jhammer

Reaction score
jhammer: those photos are causing my casting arm to twich. Nice job! I think I will try a few of the Kat killers.
I feel the same way. When I was tying them, I was daydreaming about wading out into the river and drifting them through some deep holes. :D

ditz

Reaction score
Me too on the Kat Killers. What size do you tie the KK's on??? I like your spiders too. I would suggest you also try some yellow ones. Yellow is the only color I use any more. It works and this old fella can see them too.;)

jhammer

Reaction score
Me too on the Kat Killers. What size do you tie the KK's on??? I like your spiders too. I would suggest you also try some yellow ones. Yellow is the only color I use any more. It works and this old fella can see them too.;)
I tie the KK's on size 8 Mustad R73 3X long 2X strong hooks. Size 8 seems to be a good size for me. I've caught some real river monsters on them and never had a problem. I also use the largest size bead the hook can take.

As for the foam bugs, I've done a few yellow and brown ones too. For some reason, the bluegill here love a light seafoam green one with white legs. :confused: