First attempts Pike/Bass flies

bucktail

Reaction score
Okay so I have been reading threads in this forum for awhile (even before I joined) and I have wanted to post somthing for awhile. So I taught myself last year how to do a bit of fly cast with a reddington crosswater 8 weight (of course since then I have another 8 weight, a 10 weight, and two six weights). Last week I wen't to cabelas and got their delux fly tying kit. And have started with some bucktail please tell me what you think I plan on getting new material and branching out.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.;)

bucktail

Reaction score
Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.;)

Thanks I will do that! I learn somthing everytime I tie, so I try to do a couple every day just do get the hang of it and get a feel for the tools as well as how to work the materials. Its absolutely addicting. Thanks.

Tight lines,
Bucktail

theboz

Reaction score
Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
[/IMG]

bucktail

Reaction score
Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.

Sounds good thats what im goin for I just orderd a ton of stuff I'll put the list under this but I hope to expand, I have been watching alot of youtube videos it has been hepfull in learning how to use the different materials in combinaton and how they pair things up to get a certin look or action form the fly.

Tight lines,
Bucktail

Materials list
All of these are found at cabelas.com.

x3 magnum Zonker strips (white, red, and black)
x1 (feathers) whiting fly tiers variety pack
x1 bucktail grab bag
x1 dark earthtone chenille assortment
x1 flashabou assortment
x1 oval tinsel (medium gold)
x2 centipede legs (yellow,orange)
x1 real eyes plus assortment

I hope to do all kinds of tying with this.

---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
[/IMG]

Close that was an 8 weight reddington crosswater but since then I have purchased an 8 weight red fly combo, a heat 10 weight combo, a 5 weight TFO, and a 6 weight guide series. I have just orderd rabbit strips and weighted eyes. In fact I tied my first clouser last night and using a method I found online I used a .177 caliber pellet for an air rifle for the weighted eye I will try and post it.

bucktail

Reaction score
You won't need the magnum strips for Bass size flies. 3-4" flies are better with the regular strips.

Understood I orderd those with pike in mind but Im sure I could cut them down alittle to get the job done and if that dosent work I can get some regular strips as well.

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

This was the clouser I was speaking of. I know its pretty crappy but it was my first one and as I stated I used a .177 caliber led pellet.

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.

Reactions: Ard

bucktail

Reaction score
A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.

Wow that was through thank you. Im still very new so I appreciate all this advice. I should have some of the correct hooks and eyes in here soon so it should help me get past this hump("what hump?" lol I noticed your Igore picture). Anyway thanks again I will post my revisions once I get my order in.

Tight lines, Bucktail

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Bucktails, it dont hurt to be new at something. You got the hardest part done. Ya got started. Ya mentioned Pike and Bass. I love to do these guys with top water stuff. My favorite is a hair mouse tied by spinning deer hair with a slim piece of deer skin for a tail. Deer hair floats well. Keep up the work and keep us informed.
Eddy

bucktail

Reaction score
Bucktails, it dont hurt to be new at something. You got the hardest part done. Ya got started. Ya mentioned Pike and Bass. I love to do these guys with top water stuff. My favorite is a hair mouse tied by spinning deer hair with a slim piece of deer skin for a tail. Deer hair floats well. Keep up the work and keep us informed.
Eddy
Thanks ive watched spinning deer hair it looks very cool it dosent look like they spin with bucktail do they use deer body hair? And thanks im having a blast with it, its almost like a completly seprate hobby.

Tight lines, bucktail

rapid eddy

Reaction score
Buck, check out Dans bug. Notice how he even tied it weedless. Dan, that's a beauty. If that wont catch a fish then you aint fishin it right or the fish all went home. Buck, fishin something like that needs to be done with a short choppy retrieve. A twitch if ya will. Imagine willows along the shore line with bird nests in em. A baby bird falls to the water while learning to take his first adventure. He hits the water and you can imagine the comotion he makes. If there's anything in the water below he'll be a meal for some big old bass or pike or even a channel cat. Try a baby bird pattern if your lookin for the big boys. Grasshoppers are good also. I love it when the water errupts.
Eddy

bucktail

Reaction score
It's done with body hair. Body hair is fatter and hollow. When You tie on big chunks of it, it flairs way out so you can shape it. I have become pretty good at it, so if you want to see how it's done, just let me know.

Holy cow thats impressive. That is a work of art right there and I dont see how that thing couldn't get gobbled up by some big predator. And I knew that it couldnt have been bucktail it seemed to skinny but had no idea that the body hair is hollow I will keep that in mind.

Tight lines, Bucktail

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:21 AM ----------

Buck, check out Dans bug. Notice how he even tied it weedless. Dan, that's a beauty. If that wont catch a fish then you aint fishin it right or the fish all went home. Buck, fishin something like that needs to be done with a short choppy retrieve. A twitch if ya will. Imagine willows along the shore line with bird nests in em. A baby bird falls to the water while learning to take his first adventure. He hits the water and you can imagine the comotion he makes. If there's anything in the water below he'll be a meal for some big old bass or pike or even a channel cat. Try a baby bird pattern if your lookin for the big boys. Grasshoppers are good also. I love it when the water errupts.
Eddy

Thanks I was wondering if it was more like a popper due to that lip or what so I cant wait to make a run at this. I can wait to get some of this stuff done spring is right around the corner and I am itching to get out and start chasing some hogs.

Tight Lines, Bucktail

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
That one was tied for Smallies so it's just Sally Hansen's hard as nails. On the Pike version I tie, I use 5 minute epoxy. They are harder on stuff than Bass are. By the way Bucktail, I can teach you how to do those. It's not that hard. Shoot me a PM with your phone number and a good time to call if you want to give it a shot.

Rapid Eddy, I checked, no PM, try and resend it. It seems to have vanished into cyber oblivion. :confused:
im having a blast with it, its almost like a completly seprate hobby.

Tight lines, bucktail
It is a blast, so much so that it could very well become a seperate hobby. I love it.

bucktail

Reaction score
Hey Diver Dan how long is that strip? just to get an idea what size you got there. Thanks.

-Bucktail

banjominnow

Reaction score
Very nice deerhair bugs there Dan. I didn't even know you can make color schemes like that. Must be a sad sight when a pike breaks off though...all that time on the bench gone in a silvery green flash.