Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

  1. #1

    Default First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Okay so I have been reading threads in this forum for awhile (even before I joined) and I have wanted to post somthing for awhile. So I taught myself last year how to do a bit of fly cast with a reddington crosswater 8 weight (of course since then I have another 8 weight, a 10 weight, and two six weights). Last week I wen't to cabelas and got their delux fly tying kit. And have started with some bucktail please tell me what you think I plan on getting new material and branching out.






  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  3. #3

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    Your on the right track Bucktail. I do have one critique for you. When you tie with bucktail tie it in multiple layers. Your first tie near the hook bend should be sparse then build forward from there. By doing this you use the same amount of material but you will build a profile instead of just a clump of material.


    Thanks I will do that! I learn somthing everytime I tie, so I try to do a couple every day just do get the hang of it and get a feel for the tools as well as how to work the materials. Its absolutely addicting. Thanks.


    Tight lines,
    Bucktail

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Pocono Lake , Pennsylvania
    Posts
    3,173

    Cool Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  6. #6

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Quote Originally Posted by theboz View Post
    Getting good advise from Swirl on layering you bucktail. If you want to try something different for Pike Flys or saltwater creations try some synthetics like fish hair. You can really get some nice results with these materials and the big bait profile that these predators are looking for.


    Sounds good thats what im goin for I just orderd a ton of stuff I'll put the list under this but I hope to expand, I have been watching alot of youtube videos it has been hepfull in learning how to use the different materials in combinaton and how they pair things up to get a certin look or action form the fly.


    Tight lines,
    Bucktail


    Materials list
    All of these are found at cabelas.com.


    x3 magnum Zonker strips (white, red, and black)
    x1 (feathers) whiting fly tiers variety pack
    x1 bucktail grab bag
    x1 dark earthtone chenille assortment
    x1 flashabou assortment
    x1 oval tinsel (medium gold)
    x2 centipede legs (yellow,orange)
    x1 real eyes plus assortment

    I hope to do all kinds of tying with this.

    ---------- Post added at 03:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:47 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    I saw the pic you posted, looks like your fishing a 7wt? If you are you may want to consider rabbit strips and beadchain or dumbell eyes as your next material. Bass love Bunny Clousers and you can cast them with a 7wt.
    [IMG][/IMG]

    Close that was an 8 weight reddington crosswater but since then I have purchased an 8 weight red fly combo, a heat 10 weight combo, a 5 weight TFO, and a 6 weight guide series. I have just orderd rabbit strips and weighted eyes. In fact I tied my first clouser last night and using a method I found online I used a .177 caliber pellet for an air rifle for the weighted eye I will try and post it.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Parlin, NJ / Staten Island, NY
    Posts
    2,063

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    You won't need the magnum strips for Bass size flies. 3-4" flies are better with the regular strips.
    The best way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly.

  8. #8

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Quote Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
    You won't need the magnum strips for Bass size flies. 3-4" flies are better with the regular strips.


    Understood I orderd those with pike in mind but Im sure I could cut them down alittle to get the job done and if that dosent work I can get some regular strips as well.

    ---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------




    This was the clouser I was speaking of. I know its pretty crappy but it was my first one and as I stated I used a .177 caliber led pellet.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
    Posts
    4,752

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.

  10. #10

    Default Re: First attempts Pike/Bass flies

    Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    A couple quick tips on Clousers. A down turn eye hook will ride better. If the hook is to heavy they don't ride right either. The dumbell eyes make the hook point ride up so you want to put the colors on so the 'top' of the fly is in the bend of the hook. When I do the 'top' hair, because it does not get a double wrap over the eyes, I get it just tied down and put head cement on, then crank it down good. Then cement it again. That forces cement into the hair and makes them tougher. I use this fly more than anything else. They will catch anything there is.

    Wow that was through thank you. Im still very new so I appreciate all this advice. I should have some of the correct hooks and eyes in here soon so it should help me get past this hump("what hump?" lol I noticed your Igore picture). Anyway thanks again I will post my revisions once I get my order in.

    Tight lines, Bucktail

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-13-2012, 04:50 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-08-2011, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •