Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  90
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Default Adventures in a Storm Drain!! - 4 time update on 5-14!!!

Im making this thread to chronical my foolish and scatter brained adventures in my home waters. This is about as home as home can get for me. Its 3 minutes from my driveway to fishing via pickup. I have bluegill, green sunfish, largemouth, chubs, carp and used to have bullhead in this creek. its not pretty or romantic AT ALL! There are signs up saying not to fish, swim or play because of possible sewer overflow and because of that there are culverts from the industrial park and roads draining into it. Never the less, fishes are in here and damn it Im gonna fish it. Since this is so close to home and in less then 2 months I'll have a newborn, expect this thread to have lots of updates.

SOOO Lets start it off right!

BAM!!!! First fish of the year on my 1 week old Sage vantage 8wt. Sweet! Then a few casts later, BAM!! Carp number 2!! I got foolish though and put too much pressure on it at the shore when trying to land him and he pulled the hook shank straight and fishing barbless flies, it was a goner, but I dove in trying to grab it but im no match for the slippery carp and their power. BUT! i touched it so that counts as two. Then a small stupid 4" chub which wouldnt be a trip to the creek if I didnt catch one. Water wasnt cold, but surely wasnt normal temps as my hands and feet can attest but the carp we feeding and I got 2!!! So until next week or so, stay tuned for more Adventures in a Storm Drain!!!!
    Last edited by stl_geoff; 05-14-2012 at 07:27 PM.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Default Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Good work that carp is a pig. It finally warmed up here in Illinois and I managed my first carp of the year as well what a blast. BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?

Quote Originally Posted by bucktail View Post
    BTW is it safe to say that when it came to sewage overflow you didn't give a ****?
    YUP!! haha. let me tell you something, i have been fishing in this creek for 12 years now and the signs went up a couple years ago, it has always been a possiblilty but now they have to post that it can happen. The way i see it is give it a couple days after a rain and flood, dont eat the fish and your golden.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Blog Entries

Nice pun there, Bucktail, and quite the hefty carp, Geoff! Will definitely be keeping track of the adventures!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Blog Entries

stl_geoff: Awesome Carp, congrats! If there is raw sewage in that water I'd definitely think twice about jumping in after a Carp that straightened a hook, just be safe out there.
    Larry

6. Likes Kerry Pitt liked this post

I wouldn't worry about the raw sewage, the radiation leak causing the warm water will kill any bacteria present.

So how do you like the new rod???

Dave
    I was going fly fishing until my wife suggested it, now I can't tell who is outsmarting who!

Being "one with nature" requires a knowledge of what animals are living nearby and a weapon of sufficient magnitude to give you at minimum an equal chance of survival. No one has an invisible aura that animals can detect and sense your good intentions.

8. Likes 45fisher liked this post

That cork won't be nearly as shiny and new looking after a few carp outings in the local poo stream. Love it though!

Cool Re: Adventures in a Storm Drain!!

Sewage drain and Catch and Release, a match made in heaven! Nice fish and a great first outing with a new rod.
    http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=24405&dateline=129884  8088
    Great Fishing
    Der Alt Jaeger
    Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
    Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

11. Likes rubberguy liked this post
    Blog Entries

stl,
    nice carp you got there, and on a new rig. i'll bet by the end of the summer that cork is gonna be a bit darker
    sounds like a fun day

casey

ARFE

That's a good looking carp! I can't wait to get into some!

Speaking of storm drain creeks, we used to have one a couple blocks from my old house. It was a pretty fun place to fish and explore. It was really small too. If you had a 9 foot rod, you could touch the other side of the pool. I spent many afternoons there harassing teeny, tiny sunfish, chubs, baby carp, and bullheads.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast