Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: 3/16/12 - Pond action

Default 3/16/12 - Pond action

I went out to the ponds today for a while early in the afternoon with the wife's grandpa, and then again by myself in the evening. It looked a little windy earlier in the day so I took the 6wt out and caught 7 bluegill and 1 largemouth bass. They all hit size 10 foam spiders that were either yellow or black. They hit both colors. I even had a big grass carp look up and give it a thousand yard stare. I feel bad though because my wife's grandpa bought bait and didn't have a fly rod. Without thinking, I cast right about where he was fishing and stole a bluegill right out from under him too. I felt even worse after that.

Since the fishing was so good, I returned later in the evening with my 2wt and smoked 'em. Same flies as earlier. They were smacking the flies hard too. I ended up catching a couple bass and 8 more bluegill. At the end of the day, my main fly, (a black spider) was completely shredded.

Default Re: 3/16/12 - Pond action

Looks like you had plenty of action.
    I'll bet the bass in the last pic put a bend in the rod.
    How big of a fly do you think the 2wt would handle?
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by wabi View Post
    Looks like you had plenty of action.
    I'll bet the bass in the last pic put a bend in the rod.
    How big of a fly do you think the 2wt would handle?
    I'm not sure of the max. size, but I've cast size 8 flies with bead-chain eyes comfortably. And oh yeah, the bass about bent it into a U shape!

The landowner wants a couple grass carp moved this spring to his other pond, so I've got my work cut out for me.

Quote Originally Posted by jhammer View Post
    //SNIP//

The landowner wants a couple grass carp moved this spring to his other pond, so I've got my work cut out for me.
    Might I suggest something other than the 2 wt....?

BTW-- JEALOUS! I have been out twice this year (in warmwater environs) -- seen 2 small LM, and a small smattering (2 or 3) of sunnies.... but nothing like the fun you have posted.

Nice work-- I can taste spring.

Quote Originally Posted by raindogt View Post
    Might I suggest something other than the 2 wt....?

BTW-- JEALOUS! I have been out twice this year (in warmwater environs) -- seen 2 small LM, and a small smattering (2 or 3) of sunnies.... but nothing like the fun you have posted.

Nice work-- I can taste spring.
    It's been in the 70's here for about a week. The fish seem like they're having a ball.

I think I'm going to take the 6 or 8wt out for grassies. I've caught a few of them, but I've never hardcore chased them. The fish are extremely smart and shy, but they have their "duh..." moments and take flies sometimes. However, I may try to train them to eat corn again and break out some yellow foam.

I love to hear some tips for getting the grassies to bite.