crappie and shellcracker.....two of my favorite

mrl0004

Reaction score
I had the itch to fish after 2 weeks of no fishing. Had a buddy offer to take me to one of his crappie spots. I only caught 2 smaller ones, mainly because I refused to put down the fly rod.

I stubbornly suffer through tough fishing with a fly rod when I could easily have picked up a jig and caught a lot more like my buddy. However, I feel that if every time it gets tough, I put down the fly rod, I won't learn. So, sometimes to my own demise, I keep casting the fly. It was difficult here because it was essentially a shallow stump field off of a main river. Stripping a clouser minnow through a stump field is asking to donate flies to the water, and I lost my fair share. But I wasn't skunked.

Change of scenery for the afternoon. Went to a little creek that almost always has hungry fish. I had bought a new 7'6" 3wt (TFO Lefty Kreh Sig Series) that I wanted to break in. I went straight to my favorite hole and caught lots of bluegill, red breasted sunfish, and thought I hooked into a bass. Finally saw that it was this guy:

This pig of a shellcracker had been caught not too long ago in the exact same spot. However, now he was even bigger and a real thrill on a 3wt.

It was a good day. Maybe I'll fish again tomorrow. :biggrin:

jhammer

Reaction score
What a big shelly! They always fight like crazy!

Nice crappie too! :thmbup:

Reactions: Ard

wabi

Reaction score
That shellcracker looks downright plump!

I'll bet the 3wt had some bend in it with that fish on the end of the line. :)

bucktail

Reaction score
I got to say I have been dying just like you because I have been fishing my spots where my modern gear could be catching fish I just refuse to put down the fly rod because I dont feel those fish would count anymore its painfull but I salute you!!

Rip Tide

Reaction score
One of the rare times that I use a floating strike indicator is in a situation like that.
What you want to do is tie up some marabou jig flies on the smallest jig head you can find. Hook size 8, 1/64oz, I think is right. You're going to need a bunch of different colors
Fish those under an good sized indicator and not too deep
Cast out.... let it sit.... give it a jiggle....let it sit.
Retrieve it closer.... do it again

mrl0004

Reaction score
......I just refuse to put down the fly rod because I dont feel those fish would count anymore.......
The way I feel exactly. I have caught so much on gear, now it's like starting all over. I can say you have to be an optimist to be a fly fisherman. You are usually working twice as hard to catch fish on the fly.

thats quite a shell for sure.
did you get him on the reel?
Nope. But I did think it was one of the largemouth I was trying to catch at first!