Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another GREAT Day!!!!

Default Another GREAT Day!!!!

Went back to the same spot I caught the large smallie at on Friday, and caught one an inch longer (it doesn't look as big because it's bent and in shadow):

I used the same Clouser that I used on Friday, and this fish really jumped quite a bit! I re-tied the knot, and hooked this smallmouth:

Not nearly as big, but he had a bad attitude.

Re-tied again, and hooked what was a mystery for several minutes:

That catfish was shy, and has his huge head hidden in the net. I arrived at the stream at 11am, and left at noon. Not a bad Sunday at all. There were a couple of guys fly fishing about 400 yards downstream, but there was no way I was going to brag to them. From now on, I didn't catch a thing...at least until they stop biting.

Here's where all the action took place:

The flat water was where I was catching, and that section where it narrows is SWIFT!!! I lost a huge smallmouth that got into that current last September, and the catfish was fighting to get into it today. I was using the same outfit as yesterday, but did tie on a new section of 3X tippet. I snagged the Clouser after the catfish, and waded up to my chest to retrieve it. I'm keeping that fly on my tying table!

Default Re: Another GREAT Day!!!!

What editing software did you use to make the fish in the first pic appear so big?

If only every hour of our days could be spent like that- huh?

Nice work-- might as well take the day off and go again tomorrow-- there is always another one that is an inch bigger than the previous.

Blog Entries

Great day indeed FrankNice fish you caught

Blog Entries

Congrats on the Success Frank!! Great looking fish. Thanks for the report and the photos.
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Nice Smallie Frank and good Cattie! Good to have days like that wish they were everyday!

Nice!
    I love those channel cats on a fly rod. Sometimes it takes a while to get them off the bottom.
    Mike

Blog Entries

Way to go frank! It's always better not to tell the other people where you did good.

I used to fish real early (out before daylight) and when I would be walking back to my truck at 10:00 AM and would run into guys just heading up the creek they would ask, "How did you do"? I always told them I'd been skunked and didn't think I'd be coming back there. Sometimes they would pause and then head back to their cars to go somewhere where they would have a better chance The idea of telling what I had caught to people passed by the time I was 18. The more I fished the more I understood the value of being modest about the where & the when.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

wow! another great report frank.
    thats quite the spot you have there, very productive to say the least.
    cats on a fly rod are fun but i gotta say that first smallmouth is a BEAST. is that rod a 5 weight? must have been fun

casey

ARFE

Hi Guys!
    I could get used to this! I'm keeping my mouth shut tight as far as locals are concerned, and hopefully locals don't read this forum.

The catfish was a beast to handle. I wasn't sure what I had until it was nearly at the net, as it stayed deep in a black channel. It ran up and down like a smallie, and give that dog with a chew toy tug that smallies do, but it was just heavy and really heavy when it was near the current. It was a real heart-pounding day, so I better stay in shape.

The sheet of rock that the pictures were taken on extend across the stream bed, and 2-4 foot rocks litter the bottom as well. It's no wonder that smallmouth love this area. The water rises dramatically when a storm blows through, and last September's hurricane caused the stream to rise 17 feet!!! I always looks like the fish will be swept away, but they manage to stay around somehow.

Here's a pic of the section facing downstream (taken from up on the road):

The cluster of rocks in the center are about 18 feet across, and you can see the microwave size rocks on the bottom. That water is chest high and deeper, but looks shallow. This is an excellent stream to feel around with a wading staff, as its depth is very deceptive. A six foot deep pool can look one foot deep when the water is gin clear.

P.S. Hi Casey, That's the same 5wt Z-Axis that I used yesterday. The catfish gave the Ross Rhythm's drag a workout!

EDIT: The reel is marked "6" because it has a 6wt line on it. It was another windy day, and I was throwing a lead Clouser.
    A 5wt line works as well, but Bigfly told me to try a 6wt when the wind is up. It works...

Blog Entries

Nice looking water Frank. I definitely could not pass that by with a fly rod handy. Keep the action coming!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast