Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bronze

Default Bronze

I had been wanting to hit up a certain creek for a while now. After reading several smallmouth reports earlier today, I couldn't wait any longer. I also needed to break in the BVK properly. So as soon as I could scoot out the door from work, I bolted. It was A LOT lower than the last time I was there. Jumped in the water and after weeding through several red breasted sunfish, I had my target. It was small, but it was brown.

Made several casts and had another bite.

The fish were incredibly active. For every smallmouth I caught 4 or 5 sunfish. Moved upstream a little and stuck an interesting fish.

I changed flies a lot and often. Mainly because I would lose one, or I just got impatient, but I also wanted to experiment a little. I used crayfish, clousers, one bugs, zonkers, and white wooly buggers. Caught a fish on all of them.

As the day was winding down, I knew I needed to start making my way back while I had some daylight. As I neared some shallow riffles, there was a massive caddis hatch going on. This is only a small section, bugs were literally everywhere.

Guess what the only fly I didn't have with me was? Of course, I don't normally carry caddis flies on bass creeks. I made a few more casts anyway and my wooly bugger disappeared from sight and I set the hook. I was treated to brief circus acrobatics and finally landed this beauty. The first one I've ever caught that had this nice of a pattern.

After several snapshots, I sent him back on his way.

When I got back to my car, it was covered in caddis flies. They were swarming above it and dozens were resting on it.

Also found one of these guys, and noticed several others.

I didn't catch any monsters, but I did see a couple. Apparently I have a long way to go when it comes to being stealthy. All in all it was a good outing, but I am still chasing that 3lber or better........

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Default Re: Bronze

Wow you had a bangin day! Smallmouths big or small all a ton of fun. Looks like a real honey hole. Again congrats on a great day! Hope you get that 3 lber !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

You took some wonderful pictures to go with a good report. What was the mystery fish? I don't believe I've ever seen one just like that.

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

great report and pics....what's the fish on the third pic?
    Ard will you stop asking questions before I do

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    What was the mystery fish? I don't believe I've ever seen one just like that.

Ard
    Some sort of fallfish, or creek chub I reckon, Ard. Lots of 'em up this way. They will eat the heck out of gamefish spawn and the eggs, and its common practice (up here) to toss them up on the bank if caught.
    "You're not old, you've simply aquired a patina." - Swirlchaser

That last smallie has a wonderful patttern on it. nice trip, i need to get out on some smallies soon
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Quote Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
    You took some wonderful pictures to go with a good report. What was the mystery fish? I don't believe I've ever seen one just like that.

Ard
    Quote Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
    great report and pics....what's the fish on the third pic?
    Ard will you stop asking questions before I do
    Guys, I am told it is a striped shiner. It was colored up!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

Nice mess of fish,
    I'm chompin' at the bit to get out in the water, maybe Sunday.
    2piece, 9', 7wt TFO Lefty Kreh signature series.
    I fish for food.

Man, you're killin me!!! I've gotta find some streams like that one!!! They've gotta be here, afterall, I'm just across the mountain from ya!!!

That fish in the third picture is definatly a type of chub. The only reason I know is I was catching a similiar fish in a stream near me and after exhausting all avenues of research on it went to the DEC. They pulled out a chart full of different chubs just from one area! There are a bunch and you need an icyjyologist to get a positive ID. They all look very much alike!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast