Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Things Found on a River

During low water a couple of years ago someone started a camera graveyard

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements. --- Horace Kephart

Maybe we should have a new thread: Things that shouldn't be found on a river!
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

3. Likes jpbfly liked this post
    Blog Entries

Great pics David....theboz,if we start a new thread I will have pics to post... recently found a fridge ,a cooker and an engine by the water
    More and more people take a river or a rubbish dump

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    Found this one time LOL

I figured it was stashed there after a robbery so never had the desire to touch it and see if any money was inside, didn't want my prints on it LOL

By the way, great pics!
    Did you bother to call the police in case the robbers prints were still there?

By the way, that point you found there is a really nice one. Unbelievable condition. I'm not a real expert on Texas arrowheads but it looks like a carrolton to me.

Yes Grumpy, I did bother to call the police....

I gave exact details as to where it was, was only 20' off the edge of a road in downtown South Bend, Indiana...

Was told they would send a unit out to get it, so I hung out fishing within eye sight of it for 3 hours to ensure they could find it, nobody ever showed up, said to heck with it, came by about 4 hours after that, it was still there...
    Last edited by kwb; 04-24-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Since my usual parts of the river are down stream of a major city (Austin), I could fill a camera card with junk, trash, plastic bottles and foam cups. The popular way to get rid of old used tires in the 60's and 70's was to throw them in the river. If I see old fishing line I make sure and collect it. I've seen firsthand what it can do to herons, egrets, ospreys, etc.
    I usually choose to photograph the beauty.

Dan - thanks for the ID. I sent the photo to a local collector and he said it could be a Castroville or a Williams dart point. Looking at some examples a Carrolton is a distinct possibility too. It's Archaic era for sure.
    Amazing to think it was knapped perhaps 2000 years ago and I found it in that condition.

Thanks everybody for the kind responses.

David,nice Shots,it's not suprising what is found along Rivers,alsoI see you also have Thistles over there as well,we have many different types over here as well.
    Brian

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by riverbilly View Post
    Dan - thanks for the ID. I sent the photo to a local collector and he said it could be a Castroville or a Williams dart point. Looking at some examples a Carrolton is a distinct possibility too. It's Archaic era for sure.
    Amazing to think it was knapped perhaps 2000 years ago and I found it in that condition.

Thanks everybody for the kind responses.
    It's not barbed enough to be a Castroville. They are a typical corner notched point. It's not likely to be a Williams either. I missed one other possibilty though. It may be a zorra point. I think it's made of Georgetown flint. Looking at the shape it's in, I'd go back there and look hard. It's in such good shape I doubt it was ever used. I'd look and see if it was part of a cache.

Quote Originally Posted by kwb View Post
    Yes Grumpy, I did bother to call the police....

Thanks Dopey.

I found a photo of a Williams. Notice the real barbed look. Your point is more stemmed than corner notched.
    Last edited by Guest1; 04-25-2012 at 12:37 AM. Reason: Add a Williams dart point.

LOL, I have to admit, I liked that, see Dan, it is possible for us to get along

David those are some great pics.
    SHANNON

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast