Things that shouldn't be found on a river

theboz

Reaction score
On the suggestion of jpbfly starting a new thread on what we shouldn't find on a river. We all see it all the time but what do we do about it? Every time I go to the river I'm always toting back someone's old fishing line , beer cans , beach chairs you name it. Sometimes the task is overwhelming. I'm not generally a violent person but it frosts my balls that people can be such slobs and I think if I caught one of the$&@? in the act I'd have a hard time controlling my temper. As much as it's interesting to see the pics of what we find at the river I'd like more to see the cleaned up version!

hillbilly rick

Reaction score
When ever we go to the river here, we bring trash bags. Most folks blame the weekenders, the city folks that spend their money and come down to fish, camp and have a good time. I however, have found that the local teenagers are far worse, when I came home and my wife was actually in tears becauseaftre a night time party the whole south end of the gravel bar was covered with cans, trash and worst of all broken bottles were everywhere. It filled our entire trailer.

joebloe

Reaction score
It blows my mind to see litter on the shores left by fishermen - I routinely find styrofoam bait cups, coffee cups, packaging from rigging and lures, cans of corn, cigarette packs, water bottles, beer cans and bottles, wads of mono and fishing line, etc. - what's up with that? - while most of us are trying to enjoy the beauty of nature and the great outdoors, others (in the name of enjoying the great outdoors)are taking and killing without limits and leaving their **** behind - how to educate the ignorant ???

caseywise

Reaction score
the wads of mono everywhere are as about as bad as it gets. i've found so many unfortunate animals that had been entwined in there coily mess that it makes me sick. pick up your mess!:mad:

casey

mbphotos54

Reaction score
bait dunkers... nuff said..:mad: there should be a classroom requirment to get a fishing license.

I bash baitdunkers in this case because alot of the trash I find is bait containers and beer cans.. I do on a rare occasion toss a hook with bait. but I dont leave my trash behide.. just alot of dumb@55es out there...

bobafett

Reaction score
so my first thought when i saw the thread was used condoms. but i did grow up in Mississippi, so it coulda been my cousins!

hillbilly rick

Reaction score
A few times a year we have a family and friends get together. Usually 30-40 people, in tents with kids, grand kids and us old folks, or newly used up as my granddaughter called me. We're out on the gravel bar for four days havin' a blast and nobody throws anything down, When we leave it's cleaner than when we arrived. It's just not that hard.
I gotta go this baitdunker has been busy cleanin' fish all night:surprise:

lthrnk03

Reaction score
Found lots of mono, an entire bottle of Skin So Soft(I kept that, its good skeeter repellant) cigarette packs, jerky packages. It blows my mind that people are so filthy! I stop and think to myself, "I can only imagine what their house looks like!"

popperfly

Reaction score
On Saturday afternoon I went down to the river with my wife and parked in the middle of the river was this white pick-up truck with a trailer:confused: They drove the truck through the water over a gravel bar back into the water and parked in about 1 1/2 ft. of water. I look down river about 100 yards and I could see these yahoos in there kayaks, there was another couple standing there along the river and said they just unloaded all the kayaks from the truck and trailer. So I am just standing there thinking about engine oil possibly dripping, brake dust....etc going in the water where I fly fish, so I called my good buddy who is the game warden in our county. Within 15 minutes LT was there writing a ticket and had the vehicle towed. :thumbsupu
Sorry if you think I am a snitch but I like catching trout/fish on my fly rod.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
right on popperfly. sounds like the same folks that started skipping rocks in to the hole I was fishing...:icon_eek:

when your bait fishing for food and taking what you need, and not leaving a mess behind there nothing wrong there... I was fishing trout month or more ago, and a guy upstream baiting trout during the c/r season. I seen in the 20 minutes or so I was in that spot 4 trout float by dead.. this guy was yanking the hooks out.. what a waste. speaking of bait dunking I am due a catfish trip..:D

eldermike

Reaction score
Look at the roads and the ditches in this country they are filled with trash. Years ago me a another guy took on a section of a local river. We cleaned up everything we saw and fished some but mostly picked up trash. Then we had a big rain and made a personal discovery; those ditches are connected to that river. The rain cleaned the ditches and filled the river with trash.

I would bet money that the same people that leave trash at the river are throwing trash out on the roads.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
Look at the roads and the ditches in this country they are filled with trash. Years ago me a another guy took on a section of a local river. We cleaned up everything we saw and fished some but mostly picked up trash. Then we had a big rain and made a personal discovery; those ditches are connected to that river. The rain cleaned the ditches and filled the river with trash.

I would bet money that the same people that leave trash at the river are throwing trash out on the roads.
for sure, the creek I fish dumps into the ohio river, so at times when the ohio is really high and flooded, the last few miles of the creek get lots of junk washed in from the ohio.. not only log jams but iv have seen log jams after the water resides that look like the back of a trash truck..

fish_4_all

Reaction score
I've seen it from every type of fisher but the ones who leave their bait cups are the worst. I clean up a couple hundred every year on my local spots and I only hit the river 20-25 times.

Spinner and jig fisherman can be almost as bad leaving their bubble packs all over the place. Hooked a Chinook once and it had a blister/bubble pack from a lure in it's mouth.

Fly fisherman, only once have I ever had a problem with them and it was as bad as it gets. New poles, new lines and packs of fly hooks, leader packs and everything else left on the river. They didn't hook a fish and no wonder because their own trash was floating around over the fish they were trying to catch. Not to mention the didn't have a clue and left cut pieces of fly line all over the place.

They all give fishers a bad name. Leave it better than you found it if at all possible.

Worst thing I have ever seen on the water: 2 crack pipes, 3 spoons and a dozen syringes. Worst part was that the police had busted them the night before and didn't clean up the mess. Took a call to the state patrol to get it taken care of.