Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Not what I wanted, but fun nonetheless...

Thanks for all the replies guys! They do readily hit topwater here, because the guy that told me about goes here to catch them. Usually by the dozens in each spot, all on top. The water was just a little cool to make them more active.

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur

2. Default Re: Not what I wanted, but fun nonetheless...

I have never had much luck on top for Rock bass. However smallish buggers (8 to 4) in black or brown will always work on Rock bass & Smallies in the Champlain valley. Great photos, looks like a fun morning!

Size 6,8,10, crawfish patterns work well in waters with crawdads. Weighted and unweighted can both be successfull. I do catch a few on poppers but bottom is by far better for me.

Quote Originally Posted by ditz View Post
    Size 6,8,10, crawfish patterns work well in waters with crawdads. Weighted and unweighted can both be successfull. I do catch a few on poppers but bottom is by far better for me.
    I would lose every fly in my box within 1hr if I went subsurface in some of these places.

mrl0004, how do you like that wind river reel? Been thinking of getting one myself.

Quote Originally Posted by ditz View Post
    That's been my experience too. Rock Bass love crayfish. I get them all day long on size 8 and 10 rust brown woolly buggers.

I have caught a many on crawfish flies and on white curly tail grubs. I cant say I've ever had one come up and hit something on the surface. They are interesting looking fish atlest, we have lots of them in MO streams.

The sunfish variety you were catching looks great, its hard to beat that sometimes.
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Another great travelogue - great pictures and beautiful fish. I see you were still using what appears to be your sandable foam poppers - these a little more popperish. I'm no botanist but your lower picture looks a lot like Confederate Jasmine to me.

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederate_jasmine"]Trachelospermum jasminoides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Thanks for the great trip.

RVC

I catch a few rock bass on larger poppers when fishing for smallmouth bass. So they do hit top water stuff. I seem to find them in the faster areas around rocks and logs.

Quote Originally Posted by rvc View Post
    Another great travelogue - great pictures and beautiful fish. I see you were still using what appears to be your sandable foam poppers - these a little more popperish. I'm no botanist but your lower picture looks a lot like Confederate Jasmine to me.

Trachelospermum jasminoides - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks for the great trip.

RVC
    Yep. I cut the foam short and tied on some maribou and rubber legs. They worked great!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast