New Fly, New Species & New Personal Best

riverbilly

Reaction score
I was planning on doing a fancy-smancy trip report with lots of pictures along with the historical importance of the area, some geology and archaeological facts and a few indian depredations thrown in for good measure.
But responsibilities are getting in the way so I'll just have to do a brag report.:D
I run this section often so next time.

New Fy - really just another variation on my River Craw. All the bells and whistles though; long tail, multi wrapped long shuck estaz, double hackled with legs.

I discovered it falls very slow, almost too slow for the deep section I was in but I found a few takers including a nice one.

New Species - Longnose Gar
I think gar are cool and a fun fish to catch since they tend to go airborne at times.

New Personal Best - for largemouth bass that is
Caught on a clouser with black zonker strip.

When I started fly fishing my buddies asked, "why would you want to catch smaller fish?"
I told them, "I don't plan on catching smaller fish."

Thanks for looking.

-David

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Very nice, congrats! I didn't realize that gar would go airborne, interesting, thanks for sharing.

jhammer

Reaction score
Nice gar! They're a blast to catch! They fight like mad and leap all over. We've got lots of them here. It takes skill to hook one! ;)

riverbilly

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how hard was it to remove the hook from that gar?

RVC
It came right out no problem. I alway mash down or break off the barb, first thing I do when tying.
They do like to jump. I've fought several up close to the boat, they will grab the fly but not get hooked then just let go when they get close.

Thanks for the responses.

txshane

Reaction score
Nice work! Congrats!

Funny that your buddies thought that fly rods = small fish. I get that a lot too.

theboz

Reaction score
Nice Bass David! Cool Gar! I've been trying for four days now to get one in Lake Norman . They follow my streamers but no hit. They look at my bugs but turn with disinterest. Any special retrieve your using? When did it hit closeup or top of the cast or at another point? Were you sight casting? I want to get one of these longnoses before I leave and could use any suggestions. Thanks.

riverbilly

Reaction score
Nice Bass David! Cool Gar! I've been trying for four days now to get one in Lake Norman . They follow my streamers but no hit. They look at my bugs but turn with disinterest. Any special retrieve your using? When did it hit closeup or top of the cast or at another point? Were you sight casting? I want to get one of these longnoses before I leave and could use any suggestions. Thanks.
I think I got lucky with the one I got to the boat. I had seen them for a while that day actively feeding. They were setting stationary on the edge of current snagging anything that came by. Usually if they see you or the boat they won't hit. That one hit pretty far from the kayak and I was doing my normal retrieve which is kind of slow letting the craw fly do it's own thing. Wasn't sure what it was until it was closer to the boat and started jumping.

The right place at the right time I think. They can be picky eaters.
Good Luck

txshane & drlaser - my buddies have learned that the fly rod will not only catch big fish, but will also catch a wide variety of fish. They get a kick out of it now.