Channel Catfish and Buffalo

jhammer

Reaction score
I went out to the river today and ended up catching several small Channel Catfish. They were hitting a black DDH Leech. They were pretty fun, but no match for an 8wt. The sun decided to peak out and I noticed a grayish blue tail no more than 4 feet from me. So, I dunked the fly in the water about 2 feet ahead of it and started slowly "jigging" my fly. All of a sudden, it went solid and I set the hook. I ended up catching a buffalo! I was really surprised because he didn't fight at all. He was about 24-27" long. I kept thinking that he was gonna run like crazy at any minute. But, he didn't. I was pulling this buffalo around in circles. I went to net him and he came unhooked of course. (My luck.) I need a bigger net. It's very awkward to try and net a large fish with a 9 foot rod and an 18 inch net. It figures that the fish showed some spunk only when the net touched him. But, I am still happy to have hooked into a buff! Here's what I was getting all morning.

theboz

Reaction score
Those little channel cats can keep you busy wnen there around . And they love leech patterns . Get them in the Susky on leeches . Nice pics . To bad about the buffalo would have made a cool pic.

jhammer

Reaction score
Yeah, that would have been awesome! I was so pumped when I seen what it was! He was hooked in the mouth too, so I know he wanted it!