Finally got my carp. Yes another Carp thread.Pic Heavy.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
Well, All this recent talk about carp had me wanting to try it. And so happened a few weeks ago I was invited to camp out with a friend I havent seen in while near Washington Indiana. The location is called Glendale State Fish and wildlife area. 1400acre lake with countless ponds surrounding it, those ponds are what we focus our fishing efforts on. The plan was to catch bluegill for dinner, and that we did, as the bag of fillets photo shows.. we ate well. many of the ponds are easy to flyfish due to cut grass and cleared shores, We werent at the redwing pond for maybe 20 minutes before I seen 3 big grassies cruising the channels between the heavy weeds. So on went the bread ball fly. As I watched the patrol pattern for the carp I droped the breadball fly over the channel about 20 ft ahead of where the carp I was watching was headed, and as soon as the fly hit the water the carp hit the brakes and slowed down. One tiny little twitch and I waited for what felt like forever i seen that classic gentle gulp I read about on here, and I set the hook. The water exploded and the fight was on! :wavetowel I got the fish on reel in no time and it ran strong and deep into the weeds.. I mean this stuff is thick!! it was achored down solid inthe weeds, So I kept the tension on, and walked back and forth on the bank just a bit. then I got my first glimps of the beast as it came out of the weeds,:eek: I was able to gain good ground and almost had it to where my friend cound get the head in the net I had, which was way to small.. but as soon as the net touched the carp took off like a tordeo, my drag wizzed. at that point i was just about giggly haha it was so much fun. After repeating the wait out tactic to break it out of the weeds again, we were fianlly able to drag the beastr ashore. I had to measureing devices, but its safe to say it was big.. not as big as the other carp I seen in this pond and others we visited, but ill take it any day. There were alot of fun bass over 8 inches, but nothing over the 15 inch limit. This place is a must stop if your ever in the area of washington Indiana. ok, enough talk heres the photos I took and my first carp on the fly.

Arrival thursda Night in my new car.

not a bad campground, not heavily patrolled, and mostly a fishing and hunter base, even has a really nice cleaning station.

morning veiw down the hill form camp on the main lake

redwing pond where I caught the carp.

dinner O de Gills. deep frid bluegill.. nuff said.

carp

off ya go.

lots of these

and the best way to spend the evening.

more about this location here DNR: Glendale

Im offically wanting to catch more carp now,, after I make more flys on stronger hooks.
<Mike

tbblom

Reaction score
New car, camping trip, FAT carp...
congrats!
pretty cool how they come back to life when they see you or the net, game STILL on!

bucktail

Reaction score
Be proud of that, you not only caught a carp you caught a grass carp none the less which are damn near impossible to catch!! That a double trophy my friend!:D

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Be proud of that, you not only caught a carp you caught a grass carp none the less which are damn near impossible to catch!!
You just gotta find em in the right mood. ;) i missed two this weekend that were both easily 3' long. They are surprisingly aggressive if you catch them at the right time.

It is a nice fish, its very brown/golden for a grass carp. Most of the ones I see and catch down here are very silver and shiny.

Reaction score
Great report! Looks like a real nice camping area. Love the photos & my mouth is watering after seeing that bag of fillets. Thanks for the link, you did everything but tie on my fly.:grin:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Ya know Mike, I never thought I would have to congratulate a fella on catching a carp but............ Times change and I'll admit to dragging a few of the big lugs to the shore myself. Since the once lowly carp has gained popularity over the past 20 years I'll do it;

Congratulations on a fine carp Mike, and I mean that :)

Looks like you had a beautiful spot and went prepared too, nice ride dude.

mbphotos54

Reaction score
thanks everyone, it sure was fun. I know of some local places around home with some monsters partrolling, so Ill have to give it a go again soon, it was way to much fun not too.. I got my bike rack on the car tonight, now it looks right.
Mike