Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: White Bass flies

Default White Bass flies

I ordered some fly tying material and to make a long story short, it was back-ordered and took me forever to get a refund. I plan on going up to hit the white bass run again fairly soon. I don't feel like spending the gas money to go all the way up to Cabela's or Bass Pro for a few little things, so I improvised. They're not quite the same as what I usually tie, but I've got a good feeling that the white bass will love these guys. (I usually use marabou as a tail and put a small propeller blade on the bead-head ones since the water can get kinda dirty.)

2. Likes riverbilly liked this post

Default Re: White Bass flies

What size are they? Been looking for flies that work well for white bass.

They're size 8 Mustad R73 hooks. 3X long, 2X heavy

That fly should be a killer on the WBs. I fish a large impoundment for them and my go to fly is a simple bead head with pearl flasabou. White with flash and movement seems to always be they're weakness.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

Those ties look very similar to what I use for snook at night, but I can't see why white bass wouldn't eat them right up.

Also, and this is particularly random, but I thought you had used one of those nymphheadz from the guys who make fishskullz on the second of the two shown. As I looked closer I realized that what I thought was the eye-bump was actually a reflection of you taking the photo. Kinda neat
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Quote Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
    Those ties look very similar to what I use for snook at night, but I can't see why white bass wouldn't eat them right up.

Also, and this is particularly random, but I thought you had used one of those nymphheadz from the guys who make fishskullz on the second of the two shown. As I looked closer I realized that what I thought was the eye-bump was actually a reflection of you taking the photo. Kinda neat
    Cool! Now that you said something, I do notice a giant hand there lol!

I like the idea that they're simple. A zonk strip and some pearl estaz!

Looks pretty awesome my man. Can't wait to get out there with you and hook into some serious fish. White bass, white fly. Great standard rule