Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gar attack and monster fish

I went out to the dam today with my sister and buddy for a couple of hours. I ended up wet wading and it honestly didn't feel too bad. After a little while, I was casting and ended up fudging my cast and nearly falling down. "Something" ended up ramming me and when I looked down, I seen the tail of a VERY large Longnose Gar. I was about up to my waist and you'd swear I was walking on water back to the shore. Throughout the trip I ended up changing flies a lot because nothing was hitting at all. I ended up tying on a crayfish orange Kat Killer and was swinging it through a deep area when all of a sudden I had a hit so hard that it almost tripped me and darn near ripped the rod from my hands! Before I could even set the hook, it was gone. I'm not sure what it was, but my money is on a monster carp or flathead catfish.

Meanwhile, my friend and sister were bottom fishing a couple hundred yards downriver. While I was fishing, the came back to see me and showed me their reel. It was completely busted. They fought this "River Monster" for a couple of minutes and shredded the little reel. Today must have been a day for big fish, but we didn't land any.

2. Likes FISHN50 liked this post

Default Re: Gar attack and monster fish

Good stuff my man, sounds like you had quite the adventure even if you didn't land anything. I definitely believe there is gonna be some real river monsters in your river as close as you are to the the great lakes. I'm really wanting for us to get into some massive sheephead.

Great news about the wet wading not being too bad up there. I'm ready to pack up the waders and bust out the board shorts

Heck yeah man! I was out there in a t-shirt and swimming trunks!

Blog Entries

That must have been something to have a gar bump into you like that, I think I'd have been walking on water too!
    Larry

Quote Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
    That must have been something to have a gar bump into you like that, I think I'd have been walking on water too!
    'Ol Mr. Gar wasn't too happy with me being there. He more or less rammed into me like a torpedo. Any other fish I wouldn't have minded quite as much. I like catching gar, but I don't like swimming with them LOL!

Cool report! Not many Gar here. I've seen them in FL & on the Pocomoke River here in MD, and they are quite menacing looking. I've had Bluefish & Carp bump me when wading, but never rammed. I guess if it's a choice of getting rammed & having one slash at your hand with all those teeth, you got the better end of that message! Maybe it just wanted to get your attention!
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

I had a spoonbill do that once... i just about shat my pants. There's nothign like seeing a dorsal fin and tail swim by after something bumps your leg.

Blog Entries

I remember the first time I saw a seal in the river underwater coming right at me. I was about 300 yards from the bay over on the islands; it took a couple seconds to realize it was a seal and then I was able to breath again.

On a side note, salmon often bump into your legs when the water is high and off color from rains. When you are standing almost waist deep and one bumps you or has a near miss that you can feel; this is your first clue that you are standing in the wrong spot! With that big Gar it could be that you should be real close to shore and casting to the range where he turned up. It was there for a reason and it or others may return.

At least you saw it,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

NIce!
    I used to body board in the Pacific, we would see lots of seals, otters, and dolphins swimming around. The gray fin of the dolphin was always a bit scary until you could see that it wasn't a shark. Every few years a surfer would get attacked by a great white!
    Sounds like you are going to have some fun at that spot in the future...

Instagram page @tblom77

I don't know how gar handle their eggs. Perhaps the same as other fish? That being the case do you suppose there might have been bed nearby and the gar was trying to shoo you away from it?

12. Likes hillbilly rick liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast