Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Lm Bass ?

Default Big Lm Bass ?

Okay so I fished a pond after work today. Water was clear,fish were spooky,even the 'gills would scatter if I twitched the popper more than a tiny bit. So I let it sit and got three small bass. But there was a huge bass cruising around,a good 6# or better. He didn't spook like the rest but he/she turned away from or rejected after inspecting all my offerings and presentations . Any advice ?
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

Default Re: Big Lm Bass ?

let it sit even longer.
    Gary

3. Likes milt spawn liked this post

Don't let them know you're there. Stealth! It's highly probable since you could see the bigger fish, they also saw you, or at least the movement of the rod, your arm or the line! Bass get big by being cautious. They see movement they may not identify with, then instinct takes over and alerts them that something isn't right in their world. But take away one reason for them to be cautious, your presence, and they're likely to be more inclined to eat a free meal.
    Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!

5. Likes milt spawn liked this post
    Blog Entries

Go just before dusk... stay way after dark. If it's legal, of course. milt.
    "Thomas Jeff..." Senator Reisman (Sam Shepard) Swordfish

Sometimes you can trigger their predatory instincts with a streamer at the right level.

I tried a Clouser,but no luck. Also tried a damsel nymph. I think it was just the wrong time of day.
    ...some men go to church and think of fishing while other men go fishing and feel closer to God

Quote Originally Posted by bigjim5589 View Post
    Don't let them know you're there. Stealth! It's highly probable since you could see the bigger fish, they also saw you, or at least the movement of the rod, your arm or the line! Bass get big by being cautious. They see movement they may not identify with, then instinct takes over and alerts them that something isn't right in their world. But take away one reason for them to be cautious, your presence, and they're likely to be more inclined to eat a free meal.
    Spot on advice here.

Big bass in clear water are extra tough. I'd recommend investing some time if you want to land the thing. Start studying the layout of the underwater cover and try to find a spot where it looks like that bass would hang out that you could cast to without being seen. Something like a laid over stump would be ideal.

You'll also probably need to throw a sizeable streamer instead of a little popper. Fish weigh any decision to eat based on the energy required to get it and the payoff. To use a metaphor, a large bass 3' deep won't get as excited about a piece of popcorn on the surface as it would about a cheeseburger dragged right by its head.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

10. Likes hillbilly rick liked this post

I've had lots of luck with big finicky bass by throwing huge streamers and retrieving them Very slow (big fly big fish). Let it hit the bottom and stay Stealthy. Don't wade or even get close to the bank. If you see where the fish is patrolling, just back off, give him 5 minutes to get back in his groove and work the area...tight lines will follow

PS, when I say big streamer, I mean big. 5-6 inches with Stacked bucktail and some clouser eyes if you want it to get down....

Before I saw the light and was converted to fly fishing, I found a pond loaded with 5-10lb bass, but could not get a strike. I finally figured it out. They wanted an unweighted worm in a particular color...motor oil. After I figured that out, it quit being fun to catch them.

I could fish a different color worm and they wouldn't touch it. I take that color and fish it a different way and they wouldn't touch it.

If you really, really want to catch that thing do this. Catch a small bluegill then with a spinning rod hook the bluegill just in front of the dorsal fin and suspend it under a bobber. Only do this if it is legal where you live.

If you want to catch it with a fly then the other advise is good. Go big and slow. Or maybe a big popper just before sunset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast