Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
  1. Default Best fly rod for Bass?

Hello I'm new of this forum...
    I'm Alessio from Rome, Italy...
    I Live in Rome but I've girlfriend in LA and I come to California 3/4 times for a year...

I would appreciate it if you let me know what are the best bass fly rods for belly boat and shore

Thank you very much

Default Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

Welcome to the group! To throw the big/heavy flies that are most sucessful at catching big bass, you'll want at least a 6wt, and more likely a 8wt. For bellyboat and shore fishing, I'd say you're best off with a medium-fast to fast action 9' rod. There are lots of great rods out there from different manufacturers. The Sage Xi2 908-4 (or 7wt version) would probably be my absolute first choice, with the ECHO Classic 7 or 8wt being a much more affordable option.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

3. Default Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

Might I also suggest the Temple Fork Outfitters TiCrX in a 7 or 8wt. I bought the 8wt for use on the TX coast, but I can't wait for the Bass spawn next spring. The 8wt is canon and is very fast. I have yet to find a bass bug I couldn't throw with it.

Default Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

Mattrick has recommended a great one, but I think the TiCRX is actually too fast. The similar but slightly softer TiCR is almost as fast, and offers a good bit more feel.

Just wanted to throw another option out there.
    http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._1276302_n.jpg

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.

5. Thumbs up Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

Welcome to the site. If I may, you might also want to get a "bass taper" line. I have an 8-wt rod and it is fantastic. The bass taper will really turn over those bass bugs.
    I was fly tying and fly fishing before it got trendy.

6. Default Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

I would recommend a new St. Croix Ultra - I like their new technology - or a Cabela's FT +. If you want to spend a little less, check out the Cabela's LST.

I like a fast rod for bass fishing, as I need help driving the hook home.

Randy

7. Default Re: Best fly rod for Bass?

I will agree that I do like the st croix ultra. I also have the tfo ticrx and the ultra fits me better. They are both 8 wt. The ultra seems to glide with no work on my part. with the tfo I am always "throwing" and working too hard to make the cast. I just never got use to the ticrx.