Muddy water fun

jhammer

Reaction score
I had a great feeling about the river today and arrived bright and early about 7 A.M. After wading out to my spot, I tied on a black Kat Killer and had myself a field day with Freshwater Drum, Longnose Gar, and Carp. I managed to land two nice Carp and lost three HUGE fish that I had no chance of besting. I was using my 6wt Echo. I usually use my 8wt, but the tip busted when I was out yesterday. I was holding the rod in the middle looking at one of the guides and a large fish hit the fly dangling in the water and went deep. I'm happy that today went well because I needed to get my carpin' on and it felt great. It was a great way to break in the new rod. Here's some pictures! :cool:

Carp #1

Carp #2

Longnose Gar

mbphotos54

Reaction score
I seen a gar attaching a bass nesting today. tossed a few flys at both, never got a hit. even with my crawfish..

ted4887

Reaction score
I haven't been able to hook into a gar yet with a normal fly. I've got a bit of nylon rope and sharpies sitting on my bench right now that get thrown at gar soon.

nomadic piscator

Reaction score
Went out today with the man Jhammer. We seriously smashed some fish. I had my doubts when he told me that I would leave with a sore arm but now I'm a believer. We started the day out pretty early this morning and I had hooked into my first catfish within 15 minutes. It was non-stop drum all day. Not very many were small either. He managed to prove himself as the carp master by landing way more then I did. The size of most of these fish was unbelievable. The man is truly the master of the muddy water. Here's just a couple shots of the day. Keep in mind that we took over 80 pictures.

He"ll be posting some of himself later as well

jhammer

Reaction score
I had a great day with nomadic piscator today. It was a blast fishing with him and we certainly put the smackdown on some fish. I was happy to introduce him to my home waters and let him have some muddy water fun. Each of us caught many fish and quite a wide variety of species as well. At one point, we even had a carp double on!

Last edited:

theboz

Reaction score
Man you guys were killing out there . And I am so dang jealous of that Longnose gar . I spent 10 days in N.C. Trying to get just one . Gar 24 Me 0! Great trip and cool pics. Thanks for sharing !

jhammer

Reaction score
Here's a few of my pictures from today. Piscator and I make one heck of a fly fishing team. We drew quite a crowd battling these awesome fish with the long rods. I don't think the bait tossers even caught anything! Sorry about the constant editing too. My Photobucket was goofing up and I had a heck of a time getting the pictures to load correctly.

---------- Post added at 12:06 AM ---------- Previous post was Yesterday at 11:28 PM ----------

Be sure to stay tuned for more muddy water fun posts too! :D

Last edited:

mbphotos54

Reaction score
too freaken cool. where was this? the Indiana-Ohio- Kentucky area needs a forum meet up point:D

theboz

Reaction score
You guys are just hammering them big boys . That is awesome . Can't beat multiple species and nig fish to boot. Keep on having fun that's what it's all about.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

And if you figure out that indiana Ohio Kentucky meeting spot please add Pennsylvania to the list.

nomadic piscator

Reaction score
I'm definitely down to meet up with some new doods on the forum and fish some fresh spots. Just shoot me a PM and we can arrange the rendevous. Group of four so we can all carpool to the water somewhere and save some $$. The thread over that trip will be one to remember!

jhammer

Reaction score
I'm definitely down to meet up with some new doods on the forum and fish some fresh spots. Just shoot me a PM and we can arrange the rendevous. Group of four so we can all carpool to the water somewhere and save some $$. The thread over that trip will be one to remember!
I'm down for that sometime. We can find some fresh water to hit up. ;)

nomadic piscator

Reaction score
Well Boz we can make it muddy if thats what ya want! I've got some stretches here in NE Indiana or we can travel to OH or wherever...Send me a PM and we can start the carpool arrangements.

jhammer

Reaction score
I ended up going out again today for some muddy water action and had a great day. It was a little slow at first. I had to track down the fish and find the right fly. People deciding that the river is a free swimming pool did not help the situation either. However, once I dialed in, the action was on. Here's some some shots.

First Channel Catfish

Biggest Channel

A random White Bass

Add in a few more Channel Catfish, Longnose Gar, and Freshwater Drum, and you've got my day. :cool:

jhammer

Reaction score
I've fished that river with a fly rod for 16 years. It never ceases to surprise me though. You just never know what you may haul out of there.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You guys sure have the muddy water fly fishing dialed in, congrats! It makes it all the better when you can out fish the bait casters! Yahoo!