Big thanks!

aquaticsanonymous

Reaction score
This picture is to thank all those who posted advise in the topic I recently posted asking questions about river fishing for smallmouths.

Now the report, fishing a saginaw bay tributary river, i had one of the best days catching smallmouth i have ever had, and certainly the best on the river with a fly rod. I caught over 25 smallmouth, and landed 3 very nice ones. I also lost a hawg that hit on the edge of a log jam, and proceeded to tear me up, eventually snagging me in the timber. I also got 4 fish that i would estimate over 20 inches to emerge from the deep cover and crush my fly. i couldn't hook up with those due to some technical issues that are my fault (slack in the line) (late hook set).

I was using a large clouser minnow in chartreuse and white, along with a floating line, 8 wt rod, and a 6 foot section of mini sink tip.

I also caught fish on a harry fodder fly also, but nothing big.

Anyway, thanks again guys!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I was not one who lent the advice but I do love to hear feedback like this :) I guess the forum worked for you and I'm glad to hear it, congratulations on some beautiful fish.

Ard

littledavid123

Reaction score
Great looking fish, pretty cool how the forum works, someone helped you and now your post may help another. :thumbsupu

Dave

rccola712

Reaction score
Beautiful fish! I'm a newbie to smallies and just read your first thread. I'm hoping it'll pay off Wednesday and next weekend!

With the clouser were you dead drifting or striping?