Pond gills

jhammer

Reaction score
I had the day to myself today and went after some bluegill at a pond I like to go to. I caught about 10 good sized bluegill in the hour I was there. They were hitting a size 10 foam spider like crazy. I like that little snapping sound they make when they hit it. ;)

wabi

Reaction score
I tried tying something different for 'gills today.
Yellow marabou tail, yellow chenille body, yellow rubber legs (6-8 legs), maroon/black variegated chenille shellback on a #10 hook.
No pics, but it worked for a few decent (8") 'gills this evening.

One took it when it hit the water and actually took some line off the reel (using the Echo 8'6" 4wt).

I think I'm going to start using more #10 hooks. The #12 & #14 hooks end up with me catching a lot of small (5-6") bluegills, but it seems like the #10s are too big for the little 'gills to take.

jhammer

Reaction score
Agreed. Size 10 hooks seem to be about the best gill hooks. I've had great luck with them and C&R is a lot easier.

caseywise

Reaction score
nice gills hammer!
i agree that #10 is perfect for nice sized gills(keeps the little guys away). i've been having allot of success on a #10 green foam spider.
i cast it out and let it set for 15 seconds and then twitch, if nothing repeat. been highly effective for me.
here's a decent gill on the spider

fun stuff on light gear!!:D

casey

ditz

Reaction score
#10 are also my choice of hook size. If I want to keep the small ones away I go to a #8 and on occassion a #8 but not often. When I get a lot of short strikes I will go to a #12 or #14. A yellow craft foam spider or a 1/4" diameter popper on the surface. On the bottom of the stream I use a 'Blind Squirrel' in size 10. Anything in the creek will hit this one. It is a great pattern. Smallies, Rock Bass, Gills, Chubs, they all will eat it. Don't leave home without it. :D;)

jhammer

Reaction score
nice gills hammer!
i agree that #10 is perfect for nice sized gills(keeps the little guys away). i've been having allot of success on a #10 green foam spider.
i cast it out and let it set for 15 seconds and then twitch, if nothing repeat. been highly effective for me.
here's a decent gill on the spider

fun stuff on light gear!!:D

casey
I use the same technique as well, but just a different color. :thumbsup:

angelo1987

Reaction score
Nice Gill's you got there. I actually caught some Gill's in the 5-6range using a #10 popper and foam cricket's.

Lately around here anything I throw from popper's to dry flies, little bass 1-pound and smaller been killing them.

I don't mind anything on a fly is a great feeling!!!!