Grass Carp

fishingfly

Reaction score
I recently heard of a few lakes around my area that are full of grass carp and want to try a change of scenery. Any information of fly patterns and techniques would be greatly appreciated. Ill be fishing out of a kayak with a 7 wt rod if that makes a difference. I searched the forums for grass carp but came up empty. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

fishingfly

Reaction score
Oh, thanks man. I never saw any mention of flies there, I know people use a lot of over sized nymphs is that about right? Also, I tied what I hoped would be a good grass fly out of green marabou. It looks more like a lump of algae though, and I understand that they don't eat that. I'm going in the morning so I might just try both.

fishingfly

Reaction score
Perfect, Ill post some pics when I get some tied. My trip today got rained out so tying day!

bocamike

Reaction score
Located in the western reaches of Boca Raton, Fl,
I just recently became interested in Grass Carp also, purchased a dozen flies from Chris at MissouriFlies, but haven't had a decent weather day to give it a try. I have a 75 acre lake at the end of my block (5 doors away), but if it hasn't been raining, the wind is blowing like mad. I'll give it a try soon and report back here with anything learned. That lake is loaded with Grass Carp that look to be 10 pounds or more. The water is crystal clear so "stealth" will be the primary test. I can see them in 6-8' of water, and only hope to find a way to present a fly without them seeing me.

Also, do a Google search "fly fishing for grass carp" and see all the info you'll discover there (including one other thread in this forum).

Lastly, off topic, and this is likely a very long shot. I spent my final years at IBM with my favorite manager who also retired and went back home to Auburn. He's apparently quite active in the Alumni Association, would be about 70 years old, and his name is Jimmie Warren. Any chance you know of him? If so, tell him Mike Pilgrim says hello when you next see him.

Perfect, Ill post some pics when I get some tied. My trip today got rained out so tying day!

fishingfly

Reaction score
Wow, nice fish. I have heard of people catching them on berry flies down here, particularily near the coast. I still haven't had the chance to hit the lake, got busy at work.

Reaction score
The Berry fall tends to be very specific, but if you can find the right tree at the right time, with fish actively feeding, then they are a blast. The rest of the time, I have found it difficult to tempt the Grass Carp. I can stalk plenty of them, but if they are not actively feeding, it makes them difficult to target.

Poke 'Em

Reaction score
You've really got to "match the hatch," so to speak. If they're eating grass, you won't catch them on berry flies. If they're eating cottonwood seeds, you won't catch them on grass flies. If they're not eating anything, you won't catch them at all.

Reaction score
I quite agree with your comment. I guess I just need to increase my number of options regarding flies. I have a bread fly for when they are close to properties that feed the ducks, but I need some good grass flies I guess. Any ideas?

bucktail

Reaction score
I havent fished for grassies since I got that one last month but all this talk is givin me the bug. I think I may go rack my brain on some this afternoon. Im bringing a weedwacker to get the bite goin :frogdance

bucktail

Reaction score
I fish the grass hatch lol sometimes I cant wait for the city to come by and mow :D

grassonfly

Reaction score
they are almost impossible when they arnt feeding on the mowed grass that being said ive only caught them when they werent feeding on grass. they are wily and will make you want to quit.

fishingfly

Reaction score
Wow, that is a great looking grass fly. Before I go I will tie some of each and maybe go scout the area. This was my first attempt as a carp fly but I hadn't looked at anything:

Next Im going to try a couple backstabbers, hares ear nymphs, and grass flies if that sounds like a good lineup to the professionals in the audience.