New outfit set-up...

jhammer

Reaction score
I'm going to be purchasing a new muddy water set-up and I have an idea of what I want, but I'd like to hear some opinions on this rig I plan on buying. For the rod, I'm getting a 9' 7wt TFO TiCR X and for the reel, I'm looking at an Orvis Hydros LA IV or an Orvis Access Mid Arbor IV. The line is either gonna be a Rio Clouser line or a Scientific Anglers Magnum Taper like I run on my 6wt as of now. Whatcha guys think? :cool:

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Sounds good. What are you going to be using it for? Sure you dont want to go to an 8wt for more possibilities?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
As a complete kit, that should fine.

But why not just get an 8 weight? You already a 6. A 7 weight will perform too close to a 6. The 8 weight will offer more opportunities on the flies that you can throw.

Dennis

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Your plan sounds great, but I concur with Dennis. You already own a 6 wt so a new 8 wt would be a better fit, and there really isn't that much difference between a 6 and a 7, besides, we have seen some of those hogs you are pulling out of that muddy water an 8 would certainly fill the bill.

jhammer

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys! I think I'll love the rig once I get it! I might go ahead and get the 8wt after all the recommendations.

The reason I was going for 7wt was because I plan on giving my 6wt to my sister. (She finally caught another fish and she's hooked again!) She used to fly fish for panfish with me, and she hasn't been out for a few years. She got her first taste of muddy water action too by catching a gar! :cool:

Also, I plan on getting a 9wt down the road for some smaller pike/salmon.

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
Okay. I did not realize that you were giving your 6 weight to your sister. I only recommended the 8 weight because of the 6 weight. Go ahead and get the 7 weight.

If you plan on lobbing super hairy or leathery 2/0 flies get a Rio Outbound Short floating line. It throws those types of flies more efficiently than the Clouser line.

Dennis

jhammer

Reaction score
Okay. I did not realize that you were giving your 6 weight to your sister. I only recommended the 8 weight because of the 6 weight. Go ahead and get the 7 weight.

If you plan on lobbing super hairy or leathery 2/0 flies get a Rio Outbound Short floating line. It throws those types of flies more efficiently than the Clouser line.

Dennis
I should have said that at first. :rolleyes:

Most of my flies are size 8 flies with either bead-chain or 1/60 lead eyes.

stl_geoff

Reaction score
I can also vouche for the Rio Outbound line, that stuff is legit. it hucks the #2 clousers with 1/40 lead eyes like they arent even there...and thats on a 7 weight hehehe