38" Carp on White Streamer

piscatorial_phd

Reaction score
I was fishing for smallmouth bass when this target of opportunity came upstream to see what all the commotion was about when I caught a nice 18" smallmouth.

As I saw this bulge come through the water, I put my Shenk's White Minnow streamer 5' or 6' in front of him to catch his attention. He stopped, tailed and went straight for the streamer on the bottom. As soon as I saw my line twitch in the gentle current I set the hook and ZOOM! This rascal took off so fast that I didn't have to wind slack line onto the reel. It probably took me 10-15 minutes to land him on a 3x tippet.

piscatorial_phd

Reaction score
It is indeed an 8wt Redington RS4. I bought it as a backup inshore saltwater rod from a clearance rack for $45 (lifetime warranty) a couple of years ago. Last year, I let a friend use my primary rod and I used the RS4. I haven't touched my other rod since. It is a fast action rod that really sends the big wind resistant bass bugs, big saltwater poppers and heavily weighted streamers through the wind with ease.

My only complaint is that the fighting butt gets in the way a little.

They are a load, huh? Is that an 8wt? -m

piscatorial_phd

Reaction score
I have caught lots of carp over the years, and you are right about the condition of this fish. Very swift and strong in the water. Even as a kid when my friends would make fun of my carp fishing, I thought they were quite beautiful creatures.

That's a great lean and healthy looking fish - nice!

---------- Post added at 10:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

It took all the care with a 3x on an 8wt rod I could muster. I have a friend who plays them like a big brownie on 5x... A very skilled angler, indeed.

Broke off on a fatty this morning on 2x