Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?

Default Is this a KY Spotted Bass?

I have a friend who owns a 130 acre private lake that has 46" muskie, northern pike, hybrid bass, crappie, monster bluegill, etc, but I keep catching bass of the 1-2lb. size, but nothing larger. We're talking about 50+ bass each time I go and all the same muskie munchin' size.

Here's a small hybrid (or is that a white bass?) on the fly.

Default Re: Is this a KY Spotted Bass?

looks like a spottie to me,, I should know. nice lil stripe.

Quote Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
    looks like a spottie to me
    I thought so. I said something to my friend about the bass seeming to have reached their growth potential at 2-3 lbs. He stocked it 10 years ago and was expecting 8-10lb largemouth, but it just isn't happening.

thats a big OOPS haha. they still fight good, most of the bass I catch are these, unless its a smallie I just call them all bass anyway. and I would take catching 50 of those in a day over 1 big LM bass any day.. just more fun that way. time to have some trophy bass stocked, could bring about some neat hybrids.
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mbphotos54 View Post
    thats a big OOPS haha. they still fight good, most of the bass I catch are these, unless its a smallie I just call them all bass anyway. and I would take catching 50 of those in a day over 1 big LM bass any day.. just more fun that way. time to have some trophy bass stocked, could bring about some neat hybrids.
    Mike
    No question these are fun to catch...very aggressive. We are working on a "Bass Safari" on his lake and we both think we need some monsters to entice our clientele. He just wants to truck in a bunch of largemouth fry, but I am telling him that we need to stock the big boys, because the fry will just get eaten by the spotted bass.

That would be a white bass, the hybrids have the black lines broken at the mid section of their bodys. the stripes drop down a row of scales midway
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Quote Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
    That would be a white bass, the hybrids have the black lines broken at the mid section of their bodys. the stripes drop down a row of scales midway
    Thanks for the information! The owner said he had never seen one in his lake and we assumed that it was accidentally stocked with the other bass 10 years ago.

Also feel the "tongue" in its mouth and notice the hinge on its mouth when it's closed, these also help I.D. a spotted bass.
    Okiemountaineer

Quote Originally Posted by piscatorial_phd View Post
    No question these are fun to catch...very aggressive. We are working on a "Bass Safari" on his lake and we both think we need some monsters to entice our clientele. He just wants to truck in a bunch of largemouth fry, but I am telling him that we need to stock the big boys, because the fry will just get eaten by the spotted bass.
    need to stock them as big or bigger then the spotties for sure.

IDK what yall think, but that looks like a largemmouth to me, and also thats a white bass. I catch them all the time at Ute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast