What I learned about a 3WT

swirlchaser

Reaction score
I rarely fish anything lighter than a 5WT but since I built a 10' 3WT this winter for all the nymphing I don't do, I figured it should get some use. Here's what I learned at the watershed today:
- muscles are useless on 3wt
- a double haul is only mildly effective
- the wind is not your friend...
Once I got out of the saltwater frame of mind, got out of the wind and fixed my cast I learned the largemouth on a 3WT are a blast!:D:D:D

fishingfly

Reaction score
It is always amazig to switch between a larger and smaller rod. Im sure those bass (and gill for that matter) was a blast on a 3 wt. I have a 5 and bluegill double it over.

wabi

Reaction score
Looks like a good outing!

I had my 3wt out this evening, a nice crappie and a few decent bluegills for my efforts. It was a bit windy with a very light rain falling and a McGinty got their attention.

Forget the roll casting into the wind with the 3wt, too. Couldn't fish a couple spots I usually try because of the wind.

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Yes it was. Everything stopped when the bass hit that bugger, including my breathing. The rod was doubled over and I just had to wait them out. Il be out with it again real soon. I think I need to build an 8' 3wt now :D

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 PM ----------

Looks like a good outing!

I had my 3wt out this evening, a nice crappie and a few decent bluegills for my efforts. It was a bit windy with a very light rain falling and a McGinty got their attention.

Forget the roll casting into the wind with the 3wt, too. Couldn't fish a couple spots I usually try because of the wind.
I learned that the hard way. The line just hung up in the wind like a kite.

mrl0004

Reaction score
Nice. I needed my 3wt yesterday but forgot it at home. That won't happen again! What reel is that on yours?

freebird630

Reaction score
When I lived in Colorado I fished Spinney Reservoir a lot and I started with a 5 wt sage 9 foot RPL and after a couple years I switched to a 3wt Sage 9 foot RPL and on big trout I lost a few more but the fun factor was way up. There it didn't matter how well you cast because you made your best cast and then just slowly trolled nymphs on a sink tip line.

piscatorial_phd

Reaction score
Great fun. I find that the soft landing of the flies and poppers when using smaller rods equate to more strikes and hookups. I lost a 5lb. bass because I couldn't get the hook in his jaw with my 3wt, but I don't think the fish would have hit my small popper if it was delivered with a splash anyway. Great post.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Loving the classic Allen reel :D I love my 2/3wt, glad to see another join the lightweight club, Marco. Try and find some midsize carp and throw the 3wt at 'em! I gotta find out when I can head your way this fall, but worse comes to worst I'll see you at Somerset!

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Loving the classic Allen reel :D I love my 2/3wt, glad to see another join the lightweight club, Marco. Try and find some midsize carp and throw the 3wt at 'em! I gotta find out when I can head your way this fall, but worse comes to worst I'll see you at Somerset!
We'll try to hit the Fall Classic in Island Beach State Park this year. I have place down the shore that's just outside the park, we can crash there and fish all weekend if I can get the time off.

gatortransplant

Reaction score
Sounds like a possibility! I'll see if I can make that work as well, never caught a proper striper before, only freshwater wipers. Budget's gonna be tight this year with the whole wedding thing in December but I'll see how the gasoline rationing goes!

As far as keeping with the thread subject, wish I had a 3wt here with me in Sweden, but I let a buddy borrow my 4pc and my 2pc 2/3 was just a bit too long to fit in the rod tube I brought along... Next year I think I'll be doubling the number of rods that come along...

shimloom

Reaction score
I took my 'Loomis Whisper Creek 8'8" out the first time to the East Walker River and thought i would give it try. Put on a dry and caught a 16" brown. Found out the 3wt was a great small trout rod the hard way! Lots of fun, took better than 10 min to get him to net, and 10 min to rest him before letting him go. Caught a 15-16" brown the next day on the 5wt and decided on the Walker, bigger fish, bigger rod!

chuck s

Reaction score
Keep in mind that all three weights are not created equal and that's really true when talking length. A nine or ten ft three weight has a foot or more of beefy butt at times giving you a stronger rod to fall back on once that tip flex is taken out during a fight. A 7 ft 9 three weight has little of that stronger butt. As for double hauling, both my 7'9" three weights and the 9 ft three weight does great but you do have to adjust your haul to three weight strength versus what you might do with a nine.:eek:

tex

Reaction score
I have a 7'6" 3wt that makes me giggle like a school girl when I hook up a largemouth. Even a small, 8"-10" fish feels like the fight of the century. I bought the rod for the wifey, but I use it quite a bit more than my bigger rods.

random user

Reaction score
I have a 7'6" 3wt that makes me giggle like a school girl when I hook up a largemouth. Even a small, 8"-10" fish feels like the fight of the century. I bought the rod for the wifey, but I use it quite a bit more than my bigger rods.
My 7'6" 3-weight has the same affect on me. I run light tippets on it so I can pop the tippet if I don't feel I can bring the fish in quickly enough to release it before exhaustion sets in.

rickf

Reaction score
I own a Orvis Helios 3wt. The rod is 8'4" a 4 pc and I got the "Mid Flex"

It's the lightest rod in the world! I simply love that rod, and I don't seem to use anything else.

A couple weeks ago, I caught this mid sized approx: 8lb carp with this 3wt. I had a 4X leader on with good knots. No problem, a wonderful thrill with a light rod.

I used to only use a 1wt. I only fish for 'gills and small stream trout, so I like a rod that has a bend when a small fish is on.

I have nothing to do with Orvis, but I love their top shelf rods. When this water goes down a bit, I think I'll get a Helios 2 in a 7wt? I agree with Nick, the 7 wts are underrated!

All fly rods are not the same, by any means. If you have a passion for fly fishing, I'd say get a good one! The Sage "One" is also a good rod? But IMHO I think the Helios is the best available today!

nick k

Reaction score
I mainly use a 2wt now for largemouth, and they really are a hell of a lot of fun on such light rods.

I don't really agree about the double haul being useless though. Maybe it depends on your rod action but I definitely get more distance out of my Superfine Touch when I haul and double hall.

ditz

Reaction score
I went looking for a 3wt a few years ago in a 6' rod but I did not find one but I did find a 2wt and it is the only rod I fish on the small creeks around here. Sunfish and SMB are the main course and it does just fine. It does not like the wind but these creeks are all down and sheltered so wind is seldom an issue. I do have some bigger rods for the salt and bass but seldom use them. I do use a 7wt when chasing large carp. (which I have yet to catch) I do like my short light rods. I also have a 5wt 6' that is almost as fun as the 2wt and yes, I too, use a double haul with my light rods.