Late night bass

raindogt

Reaction score
Hey all--

Been getting quite a bit of late night fishing in. Last night was a 5 species night; LM, Wiper, sunnies, a crappie, and a channel cat. Sorry-- no pics. The wiper was the largest of them all-- about a pound to a pound in a half.

Tonight was a little more noteworthy..... All in all, there were 7 LM's taken (and safely released)--first three or four were comparable to the first pic. (didn't find them picture worthy-- until I realized that in an hour I pulled in 7 of them...) lol.

The first was taken on a 'creative tie'-- a black wooly with a black foam 'gurgle pop' on it's back-- I got to thinking about how a fish perceives things-- Figured the gurgle pop moves a lot of water, and the wooly is full of 'life'-- why not combine them and present something to get their attention, and once the attention is caught-- has tons of movement.... seems to work.

The next one was taken on a 'skirted' wooly -- a pattern that borrows it's design from the tournament bass fishers skirted lure. Basically a wooly with 6 rubber 'legs' tied in at the head that cascades the length of the fly.

The big girl hit hard and took a number of good runs-- at one point tried to dive below the dock that I was standing on. This is where it gets interesting.... She runs under the dock a bit, and I was trying to keep her out-- Then she suddenly came shooting out of the water, literally knee height to me-- ON the dock, two or so feet above the water's surface! What a rush!!!! That final run took about 10 feet of line from my reel and she was heading for the nearby standing dead wood.... I broke her over and ,heart racing, I reached down and lifted her out of water, shot a quick pic and sent her on her way....

What a great night!

Hope you all enjoyed my wordy and probably incoherent report.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Raindogt,

Thanks for sharing your photos and experience. Night fishing for largemouth bass can be really successful. Put a light in the water and it will draw a bunch of pan fish.

Frank

raindogt

Reaction score
Thanks guys. She wasn't the biggest I've landed, but she was definitely one of the most memorable.... There were three different occasions where I was sure she was gone-- twice to standing timber, and once under the dock--- either one would've proved to be a break off on my *relatively* light tippet (4 Lb. mono.)

My adrenalin was sure up with this one. she came dangerously close to said structure-- and I was waiting for the dreaded limp line while leaning on her to keep her out of those zones....

And Larry-- night fishing is all I have these days--- going on our third week of 'dangerous heat advisories'-- after working all day in it, the last thing I am doing is fishing while the sun is showing it's terrible head....

lancer09

Reaction score
Here in KC this heat has been terrible, knocked my fishign down to a minimum, but the rain this evening should cool it off a bit and heat thigns up.

boreal

Reaction score
I've been surprised at how some very highly pressured lakes can be amazingly productive after the sun sets.

Nice fish and cool report.

sbourdelais

Reaction score
my lake gets boats durring the day, and pretty warm, so i go out about an hr before sunset and fish till dark, and just after the sunset, i see tons of bass surfacing and jumping.
the one problem i have, is that they follow my fly, but they dont take it! grr, i've tried my whole collection, from poppers to weighted nymphs. big to small. short to long. it anoys me!
once i get a good light, i'm going out for a later night.
all the best on your fish

boreal

Reaction score
my lake gets boats durring the day, and pretty warm, so i go out about an hr before sunset and fish till dark, and just after the sunset, i see tons of bass surfacing and jumping.
the one problem i have, is that they follow my fly, but they dont take it! grr, i've tried my whole collection, from poppers to weighted nymphs. big to small. short to long. it anoys me!
once i get a good light, i'm going out for a later night.
all the best on your fish
Cast farther...strip faster;)

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Hey all--

The first was taken on a 'creative tie'-- a black wooly with a black foam 'gurgle pop' on it's back-- I got to thinking about how a fish perceives things-- Figured the gurgle pop moves a lot of water, and the wooly is full of 'life'-- why not combine them and present something to get their attention, and once the attention is caught-- has tons of movement.... seems to work.

The big girl hit hard and took a number of good runs-- at one point tried to dive below the dock that I was standing on. This is where it gets interesting.... She runs under the dock a bit, and I was trying to keep her out-- Then she suddenly came shooting out of the water, literally knee height to me-- ON the dock, two or so feet above the water's surface! What a rush!!!! That final run took about 10 feet of line from my reel and she was heading for the nearby standing dead wood.... I broke her over and ,heart racing, I reached down and lifted her out of water, shot a quick pic and sent her on her way....

What a great night!
Dog: I really like your thinking about having a night fly that gurgles/pops on the surface and lots of movement!

Your description of that big bass going under the dock and then jumping knee high on the dock was great! Reminded me of one time I was stillwater fishing and had the boat anchored up and a big trout gets tangled in the anchor rope, I had to lean over the back and pass my fly rod around that rope to be able to free the line and eventually land that fish.

Larry