Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  10
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: big carp

1. Default Re: big carp

We will see John. I have tried to pack nets. One was a little too smalle, but as you said, scoup the head. That just got too hard for me by myself. I have a BIG net, but definitely do not want to be dragging that on the river.
    The grips I got are plastic and the clamp is about an inch thick so not the metal claw of the boga, but I will watch for damage.
    Thanks.

Default Re: big carp

I bought a brodin colapsable telescoping net. Its really nice, fits inside my scatchel, and expands out to be quiet large. I havent broken it in with fish goo yet but its promising
    "When you do things right, people wont be sure you've done anything at all."

Storm Drain Bonefisher

Awesome fish

Carp fishing in Colorado has really slowed down with the cooler early fall weather (at least for me). I am still seeing plenty of cruising and tailing carp, but they don't seem as voracious as about a month ago. I've had a couple days of being skunked and seeing very few fish. Lots of good shots on target that were rejected also
    Yesterday morning I finally got a small 18" carp to attack a crayfish pattern to keep hope alive! Gotta love the fight in the little guys.

Instagram page @tblom77

5. Default Re: big carp

Slowed down big time, plus the water is higher and muddy as heck. See a tail once in awhile.
    I got out from o to 10 this morning figuring early is better. Caught this guy

And a bunch of these

Blog Entries

First of all, when John Montana and Mr P say its a nice fish, I'd have to agree (though I was already in agreement before I had even seen their posts on this thread). TB, that's a beauty and I know exactly what you mean about the anxiety setting in after the opening-runs adrenaline starts to wane. This is especially the case with fish like tarpon and snook that have razor-sharp gill plates, but I still feel the same way with ANY fish where the fight goes on for any considerable amount of time.
    While lately I've been in waters where most the carp are on the smaller side and I have been using the 5wt spey to take them (I've been working on practicing my 2her casting and the usual takers are carp or smallmouth with a smattering of panfish and minnow species), I'm sure the next few weeks before steelhead starts will see me haunting my local carp flats with my 7wt Allen Xa to get ready for the bigger fish season! And John, try out one of the Allen Xa rods in your preferred size and weight, you won't be disappointed. Make sure to try it on a hooked fish as well, one of my favorite aspects of the rod is its fish-fighting ability.
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

7. Default Re: big carp

I would love to try an Allen...my season is winding down and it isn't looking like I will get back out after them this year. Might have to wait until next spring. I am in MT right now (no fishing) but might try to sneak out once more before the season ends...fingers crossed.
    John Montana

Carp on the Fly

keeping this carp thread alive. Just caught a 30"er on Nov. 6!

Instagram page @tblom77

9. Default Re: big carp

Yaaaaaa! That is what I am talking about. Hopefully I will get out this week before the storm hits. Although, I am interested to see what effect this will have.

Blog Entries

I haven't hit the carp flats lately, steelhead and lake-run browns have had my attention. If I deviate from that any time soon it will likely be to chase inland trout... I'm sorry carp, it's not that I don't love you, I just have been very busy!
    - A.J.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast