big carp

tbblom

Reaction score
This summer I have finally gotten into some carp. Most have been smaller guys between 18-24", I have hooked a few larger but broke off. Saturday I finally hooked into a big carp and managed to land it about a half hour later.
This fish took me deep into the backing on the first run, and then into the backing three more times after getting it up close. Just would not quit! 9'6" 7wt, 15lb. fluoro, home made crayfish in light olive. I think 32-33", not sure on weight but clearly my heaviest and longest fish landed yet. (first eyelet is 34" from the butt). Maybe in the 12-15lb range?

mikel

Reaction score
Wow...that's a great looking fish! What do you guess your heart rate was when it took off from the net and ran? : -Mike

stl_geoff

Reaction score
Thats pretty torpedo shaped so I think your 12-156lb range is about right for that size fish. im still working on breaking that 30" mark for carp. I just need to convince that fish to eat the fly.

tbblom

Reaction score
Its funny, the fight starts off heart pounding. But as the minutes wear on, the heart beat slows and the fear creeps in. Fear of breaking off, of getting hung up in a snag, of getting spooled, of pulling the hook straight, of pulling hook out. Fear of losing the fish for so many reasons after fighting it for a long time!

the first run took me far enough into my backing that I thought getting spooled was a definite risk. cranked down the drag and added palm drag with a big slow turn to end the run before that happened.

Got the fish toward shore and he went straight for some cat tails and downed logs. Probably nearly broke the 15lb. flouro keeping him out of that mess. I have never bent a 7wt that far for sure!

Back into the backing after that a few times. Luckily I have read on this site about how to land larger fish, ie walk it backward into the shallows (thanks Ard!) That is exactly what I had to do. I had to keep the fish turning to eventually net him and end the fight in the shallows.

tbblom

Reaction score
Nice blog John, you've caught some serious pigs!
I too enjoy sneaking behind the reeds with barely 9 feet of line out, and seeing the eat. Very fun.

Vans

Reaction score
Nice blog John, you've caught some serious pigs!
I too enjoy sneaking behind the reeds with barely 9 feet of line out, and seeing the eat. Very fun.

John is very popular here in Oregon with those who wish to find carp on the fly. He is pretty sneaky about keeping his best water secret. [poke]

Kidding aside, when it comes to carp in OR, he is the man to know and has been a big help to me. I credit what success i have had this year chasing carp, my first, to him

john montana

Reaction score
Thanks tblom and vans...nice to see some carp threads! The 9 ft 6 inch 7 wt is my rod of choice too...I like that extra length for dapping and I feel lke I am a little more accurate with the longer rod. You guys have some pretty serious carp on the fly guys in CO...I want to get down there some year and check it out. I have been known to travel for rumors of big carp! Hah...mr. P and I went to ID this year...not for the Henry's Fork but for mirror carp. CO is on my hit list...

Joni

Reaction score
I started off using a BIIx 9' 8wy, but the past ttwo months I dropped to a 6 wt.
The Allen AST 9' four piece is my go to

tbblom

Reaction score
that allen setup is pretty! My 'pond' gear is kind of affordable and beat up.

I use a 9' 6wt Cabelas RLS combo often, with a 15' cortland clear sink tip. Very stealthy but hard to see strikes by the end of the line moving. I really like the clear line and seem to get more takes with it.

I have been fishing some places with tall weeds and willows, and the 9'6" 7wt reddington Redfly has been nice for the reach. Tons of backbone for chucking bigger streamers too (used the same rod for small barracuda and bonefish in the keys and Mexico this summer).
I finally got a nicer Rio floating 7wt line, amazingly expensive for nice line, but what a difference casting!

Last few days out have kind of sucked for carp. Either angler error or few fish sighted or both :( I'm getting pretty good at bonking them right on the head!

john montana

Reaction score
Good looking gear. I have one Allen reel, nice product! I haven't tried their rods.

Last outing:

Little guy, but my buddy did get a 19 lber. They have been tough out here of late as well tbblom...we caught some fish, but nowhere near the volume or size we had been catching a few weeks ago.

You guys are brave fishing 6 wts! I started using an 8 wt and really like having enough rod to lift their heads up...the 7 does ok, but the 8 is noticeably stronger.

Hope to get out again soon.

Joni

Reaction score
Been tough for me this week. Two or three Carp a day and a bunch of bass
I did break down and buy some boga grips. The 6wt is doing fine but the eight is a secure feeling for sure.

john montana

Reaction score
Ditch the boga grip joni. I used one of those when I first started chasing carp, and I regret it. The boga is made for fish with hard mouths, and carp have one of the softest mouths out there. I think you would do less damage to a trout with the boga than you will to a carp. When i used the boga I repeatedly ripped holes in carps lips. It wasn't pretty...the boga is made for toothy critters, it just destroys the soft mouth of a carp.

Personally, I consider a net essential. I have a McLean net that folds in half and telescopes outward so I can handle a big fish solo without risking my rod at a bad angle. Plus, I can just weigh the fish in the net. I carry a small, light digital scale for that. It is a good system and much less dangerous for the fish than a boga. I think I sold mine on eBay after a few instances of nearly ripping off their mouth.

Check these out instead:

Folding Nets

I have the "hinged ejector net" and I replaced the knotted mesh bag with a rubberized fish friendly mesh bag. Much safer for the fish, and it is bigger than you think. I netted a 25 lber and it fit (barely) the other day. That fish was 34 inches long, but I the head fit in and I was able to land it.