My Latest Muskie Fly

rem308

Reaction score
I tied this fly this morning and am quite impressed with the body volume and 'water-pushing' ability. It is a chunk, tied on a 5/0 hook. I stuck to the layered green/white pattern with some flash.
Hopefully I will be able to throw it tomorrow morning and hopefully the next photo will have it hanging out of the face of a big toothy fish.

mudbug

Reaction score
that will move a lot of water, but it's gonna cast like a shuttlecock.

Hollow Fleyes cast like that. They lose velocity fast and that thing is like a hollow fleye on steroids.

rem308

Reaction score
I went out this morning and tested the latest creation w/ my 10 wt on the river. I am very excited about fishing this fly.
It has the side-to-side action that I really like when stripping the line and running it a foot or so under the water.
We throw some tandem muskie flies that measure in up to 12" long and this casts easier than those. It is big and has a large profile in the water and does cast as expected, but I can certainly deal with that to get this in the face of the fish.
I came home and promptly tied up another color variant. The head is setting up right now, then I'll trim it up but here is the almost finished product:

rem308

Reaction score
Got to fish a little more yesterday and threw these flies the whole time. They have great swim movement, pulsate well in the water. Tried to get a pic or two of them. I'm going to a hotspot on Saturday and cannot wait to throw them more.

jamesrvrmusky

Reaction score
Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim

rem308

Reaction score
Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim
Yes, I am only tying articulated flies now, really like the action, the larger profile, and a bit of the fail safe in case of short strikes.

I will get the exact size off the lead barbell eyes that I have when I get back to the bench.

As for supplies, I've had really good luck buying the bucktails and other supplies from this site (great customer service too):

Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch #82 | Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch fly tying saltwater hackle bass bug hackle | Featured Products-Home Page | Fly Fishing Gear - Accessories - Fly Tying Materials | The Fly Fishers Fly Shop

Also, I bought some of the Clear Cure Goo and eyes the other day, really like this stuff and it adds a lot to the flies. Finish w/ a little Sally Hansens and you won't be disappointed.

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

A few more pics from the tying bench. Tied up a few killer patterns yesterday evening, not sure when I'll be throwing them but can't wait.

And of course, my muskie hound checking out the progress:

jamesrvrmusky

Reaction score
Wow, those last few are great. I'm going to tie a few like those as well. Are you tying on Jig hooks? The photo looks like the eye is 90 degrees from that of a "normal" streamer hook. If so, what hook are you using?

Jim

swirlchaser

Reaction score
Very nice ties! I've never fished for Muskie so I may be way off here, but I think I may be able to save you some weight by applying some saltwater experience here.

1. Even when there's big fish in the surf (36"-48"). I've never needed to use a hook bigger than a 2/0. A 5/0 hook is a very heavy piece of steel, maybe you can trim some weight there.
2. Flat wing patterns save a ton of weight and are very effective on Stripers and Blues. They don't look like much from the sides but have a big profile from the top and bottom (most predators strike from below). Good luck!

jamesrvrmusky

Reaction score
When I first started tying these things, I was looking for ways to cut the weight. I started using smaller hooks (2/0) and more synthetics to avoid all the casting weight. But I found that the addition of just a bit of bucktail caused the fly to sit on the surface, or hover just under it, and wind resistance made them almost impossible to cast. Now I use 2 big 6/0 hooks, AND add tungsten beads to the tygear wire I use for the trailing hook. I load up the bucktail to move lots of water, and the flies , while heavy, cast great, and sink at a reasonable rate. The weight offsets the wind resistance, allowing the fly to cut through the wind like a 400gr sink tip line. I have found (although I am always looking for new ideas) that the big bulky flies need some real weight to offset their wind resistance. The flatwing approach may help, as less bulk would mean less weight. But I think there is still a need to push a bunch of water, so its back to bulky flies.

All that work and preparation, and I find that the hard part is still finding the fish!

Jim

swirlchaser

Reaction score
When I first started tying these things, I was looking for ways to cut the weight. I started using smaller hooks (2/0) and more synthetics to avoid all the casting weight. But I found that the addition of just a bit of bucktail caused the fly to sit on the surface, or hover just under it, and wind resistance made them almost impossible to cast. Now I use 2 big 6/0 hooks, AND add tungsten beads to the tygear wire I use for the trailing hook. I load up the bucktail to move lots of water, and the flies , while heavy, cast great, and sink at a reasonable rate. The weight offsets the wind resistance, allowing the fly to cut through the wind like a 400gr sink tip line. I have found (although I am always looking for new ideas) that the big bulky flies need some real weight to offset their wind resistance. The flatwing approach may help, as less bulk would mean less weight. But I think there is still a need to push a bunch of water, so its back to bulky flies.

All that work and preparation, and I find that the hard part is still finding the fish!

Jim
That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink :eek:

riverbilly

Reaction score
That is a killer looking fly. I know that would be great for my bass this winter.
Any way you could do a SBS or recipe of that fly? I'm still a basic tyer.:eek:
Great tie.

"swirlchaser - That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink"

:D Funny you said that, the other night I was comptiplating on just how to do that. I know it's counterintuitive, but would give me the size and action/commotion that I'm looking for.

David

swirlchaser

Reaction score
That is a killer looking fly. I know that would be great for my bass this winter.
Great tie.

"swirlchaser - That makes sense. In the surf when we want to move water it's usually topwater at night so we use spun deerhair. I wouldn't even attempt to try and make a spun deerhair fly sink"

:D Funny you said that, the other night I was comptiplating on just how to do that. I know it's counterintuitive, but would give me the size and action/commotion that I'm looking for.

David
I've considered putting a lip on one like a crankbait but never got around to it...

rem308

Reaction score
Yep, I've found that I have more action on these large profile flies that push water...I had an absolute blast on my last fishing trip. I was throwing flies out of the back of the jon boat, good friend casting conventional tackle in the front. I moved a LOT of muskies that day, good follows, but none were eating. What was wild was passing struction and seeing nothing, I'd throw one of my large black/orange tandems (identical to the last pictures I posted) and would strip, strip, pause....strip, strip, pause....and the fish would show up. Sometimes they were just curious and sometimes they were aggressive, but it was like the large profile is what they wanted to see / feel. The smaller flies that glide so much easier (less resistance) weren't getting any love at all.
I often read about the lateral line and how tuned into vibrations from bait fish that these predatory fish are, which is why I make sure my flies are now pushing a lot of water.

Also, regarding weight -- I have a few w/ the barbell eyes, but just as many without --- that top foot or 2 in the water column is what these will mainly swim in, the weighted ones will go deeper pretty easily. Just depends on where the fish are that day.

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

Great tie.
David
I can see what I can put together --- I will say I'm following 2 very popular patterns...the HangTime that Brad Bohen made famous (well actually plenty of big, mean fish made it famous!) and the TallyWhacker Tandem.

grouch

I don't deserve a title
Reaction score
Those are fantastic looking flies. I am going to have to borrow those for my first go at pike next summer.