Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Latest Muskie Fly

1. Default My Latest Muskie Fly

I tied this fly this morning and am quite impressed with the body volume and 'water-pushing' ability. It is a chunk, tied on a 5/0 hook. I stuck to the layered green/white pattern with some flash.
    Hopefully I will be able to throw it tomorrow morning and hopefully the next photo will have it hanging out of the face of a big toothy fish.

Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Nice looking fly. Bet that I could do some damage on stripers with that.
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

It's bright. It's gaudy. It's flashy. If it has some good movement, it will attract a predator.

Dennis

that will move a lot of water, but it's gonna cast like a shuttlecock.

Hollow Fleyes cast like that. They lose velocity fast and that thing is like a hollow fleye on steroids.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
    that will move a lot of water, but it's gonna cast like a shuttlecock.

Hollow Fleyes cast like that. They lose velocity fast and that thing is like a hollow fleye on steroids.
    My thoughts exactly.I bet that is a bear to cast.Good looking fly though.

6. Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

I went out this morning and tested the latest creation w/ my 10 wt on the river. I am very excited about fishing this fly.
    It has the side-to-side action that I really like when stripping the line and running it a foot or so under the water.
    We throw some tandem muskie flies that measure in up to 12" long and this casts easier than those. It is big and has a large profile in the water and does cast as expected, but I can certainly deal with that to get this in the face of the fish.
    I came home and promptly tied up another color variant. The head is setting up right now, then I'll trim it up but here is the almost finished product:

7. Likes baseman1 liked this post
  8. Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Got to fish a little more yesterday and threw these flies the whole time. They have great swim movement, pulsate well in the water. Tried to get a pic or two of them. I'm going to a hotspot on Saturday and cannot wait to throw them more.

9. Likes Joni, mcnerney, riverbilly, thorsten, baseman1 liked this post
  10. Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim

Blog Entries

Great looking pattern, I can't wait until you land a big Musky with that fly!
    Larry

12. Default Re: My Latest Muskie Fly

Quote Originally Posted by jamesrvrmusky View Post
    Great looking fly. Working along the same lines with some articulated flies for Musky. Two questions: what is the eye that you are using, and do you have a good source for bucktails suitable for Musky flies. So far, I'm taking mail order pot-luck from the online sources, and not real happy with the tails I'm getting.

Thanks,

Jim
    Yes, I am only tying articulated flies now, really like the action, the larger profile, and a bit of the fail safe in case of short strikes.

I will get the exact size off the lead barbell eyes that I have when I get back to the bench.

As for supplies, I've had really good luck buying the bucktails and other supplies from this site (great customer service too):

Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch #82 | Grizzly Saddle Hackle Patch fly tying saltwater hackle bass bug hackle | Featured Products-Home Page | Fly Fishing Gear - Accessories - Fly Tying Materials | The Fly Fishers Fly Shop

Also, I bought some of the Clear Cure Goo and eyes the other day, really like this stuff and it adds a lot to the flies. Finish w/ a little Sally Hansens and you won't be disappointed.

---------- Post added at 06:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:26 AM ----------

A few more pics from the tying bench. Tied up a few killer patterns yesterday evening, not sure when I'll be throwing them but can't wait.

And of course, my muskie hound checking out the progress:

13. Likes baseman1 liked this post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast