Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: They're BAAAACK

1. Default They're BAAAACK

Not sure where to put this, but

Carp action slowed down for the month of Sept. They were still hitting but I had to really work to find them.
    Plus they seemed smaller. Still fought great.

WelI got out Monday and today for an hour or two.
    Monday was a little slow going trying to find what they wanted and due to the surroundings, working on a good long roll cast.
    Aster about a half hour, I decided to attach a glow in the dark Thingamabobber, which appears clear, like a bubble on the water. This is pretty shallow section right now, so I think this was a good thing.
    I had my softhackle Glowbug about four feet down from the indy and of all things, a stonefly nymph about 3' down.
    I cast it out to some shadows and waited. It went down so I tried to set the hook. A little resistance than nothing.
    I cast out again and this time, the indy went down slightly, then to the side, so I Bill Danced it! Worked!
    really well actually.
    Today, it was definitely the trick! Try it!

okuma Guest

Default Re: They're BAAAACK

By Bill Dancing it...does it mean you crossed it's eyes when you hook set?

Great looking carp Joni! So you were catching them on the glow bug as well as the stonefly? Under a thingamabobba while you were falling down like Bill Dance often does? Is that the system? Just kidding! Cool fish !
    "I was born to fish" Lee Wulff
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing then there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh
    " It ain't over till it's over." Yogi Berra
    "Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser

Blog Entries

Joni, Congrats on the great looking Carp!

Larry
    Larry

5. Default Re: They're BAAAACK

Quote Originally Posted by okuma View Post
    By Bill Dancing it...does it mean you crossed it's eyes when you hook set?
    LMAO...exactly. Throw a hip out, wrench your back, the whole thing...LOL
    The boz, funny you mentioned falling down...not quite, but almost fast first!

Carp are so cool, any bigger you might have run out of net, would you guess them in the 7-8 pound range or maybe the 10-12 range maybe hard to tell but they look very nice.
    "When the river is high, the fish eat the ants; when the river is low, the ants eat the fish."

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing

7. Default Re: They're BAAAACK

I would like to get a scale some day. I run with 5 weights and these are more than that by a long shot. The one in the net was a little one. Most I scoop the head and quickly lay the rod down and grab the tail. I just know I am going to loose my rod/reel/line some day to one good flip and take off.

Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border

Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    I just know I am going to loose my rod/reel/line some day to one good flip and take off.
    Not if you can swim fast! Those are fun fish. It's been a long time since I've been anywhere I could get Carp. Closest thing I have here is Redhorse. If you can call that close.

Blog Entries

Nice fish Joni...wonder where I can take Bill Dancing lessons

Quote Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
    Closest thing I have here is Redhorse. If you can call that close.
    there's really no carp in LOW? wow

redhorse are so cool, i really wanted to catch one for the last few years and finally just got one this last year on the very north section of the wisconsin river. Rough fish are so underrated as fly fishing quarry, love chasing them in the summer months

"my first red horse"
    "When the river is high, the fish eat the ants; when the river is low, the ants eat the fish."

Illinois Wisconsin Fishing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast