Bass in Golf Course Pond

troutbanger20

Reaction score
I fish in a pretty active golf pond with large bass that love worms. I have been throwing wollys, clouser's, flash minnows and nothing.

What flies work for you and how do you fish them?

Thanks

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
I jsut discovered a new to pattern at a local fly show that is everything I have been looking for! It's the fly fishing equivalent to a senko. I'll snap some photos this evening and post them

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I fish in a pretty active golf pond with large bass that love worms. I have been throwing wollys, clouser's, flash minnows and nothing.

What flies work for you and how do you fish them?

Thanks
This is probably obvious, but I have to ask, have you tried san juan worm patterns? I fished a small pond in Colorado last week that had smallmouth bass and crappie and an egg sucking leach in a rust color did very well.

Larry

T

turbineblade

try the SJ or "squirmie wormie" pattern (punch that into youtube and you'll see it).

There's no trick to it, just toss it out there and let it sink...then twitch like you would a plastic worm on a bass rod. Some people sneer at worm flies, but who gives a rat's ass.....they catch fish and they're really no different than tying any other flies using synthetic material. :)

grassonfly

Reaction score
i fish alot of golf course ponds. well actually thats all my freshwater fishing. gurglers are awesome. eat me flies work. polar fiber minnows. seaducers are awesome. topwater only at dusk and dawn

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Read the header and had to do a huge laugh!! A good laugh as it took me back many years to a golf course.

On Holiday and (ex wife) Joan and I have first tee time on a course in White Fish Montana (think I got that right). Cook and one other person .. he turns out to be the owner of the place.

Chat, ate breakfast together, 'why such an early tee time?' because we're both really bad and don't want to hold up play.'

Talk fishing over breakfast, 'Want to fish here?'

'Say what????' All the water haz's were stocked with rainbows for bug control (miskits). 'Just stay off the fairways, late in the afternoon/early evening quite a few of the players have had too much to drink.' C&R, but 3-6 pound trout on a 5wt, BONKERS!! Total BONKERS.:fishing:

Vacation plan was to be there for a couple of days, extended to five and took fellow and 'sig-other' to dinner a couple of nights. Worth every penny, every penny. Corresponded for years until he passed away. Bad part was I found out too late to go to the funeral.

Heck of a guy in every respect of the term.

Frederick A. Evans

brookfieldangler

Reaction score

Guest1

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada bor
I'm amazed they let you fish on the golf course. :confused: My favorite place to fish for Brookies when I was growing up was on a private dude ranch in the mountains in Colorado. Very close to my home. I got Brook Trout in there that were so big you would think I was telling tall tales. A local ski area very near it bought the ranch. They put giant condos all over it and my spot now runs through a golf course. They do not allow fishing. Last time I looked at it you could see fish cruising around in it that would give most of us a heart attack. :wow:

theboz

Reaction score
Growing up in an area with many public golf courses as a kid I had many " techniques" for fishing the ponds. Most successful was my "extra " club in my golf bag! If you put a club cover over a reel it looks just like another club . Some of the biggest bass I ever caught were out of these ponds . Grass carp of monstrous proportions were the highlite of our childhood adventures!
And in the summer when we needed money there was a course right next to the fanciest restaurant in town . Many bullfrogs and snapping turtles fit into my newspaper bag and made their way to the cooks entrance of the restaurant!
Great memories luckily we never got caught!

---------- Post added at 02:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 PM ----------

Frogs love red flys!!

fishinkeebs

Reaction score
Golf course ponds can be a Gem. I have one near me that I fish on occasionally and have caught some hawgs out of them. They close the course on mondays for maintenance so I usually dont have issues with getting on the course. Leech and clouser patterns have been primary flies.

Last edited: